Need interviewing tips

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
OK I have a interview for a finance intership at a mortgage company..

anyone here know what kind of questions I should be expecting? I look at their requirements and I fit them perfectly..

whats the rule of thumb to calculate hourly wage? is it yearly wage divided by 2000? so 50000 yearly salary is about $25 per hour?

if they ask how much salary I am looking for, and I answer I dont really care about salary, I am concerned more about work experience, is this a good answer?

Thanks

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
I highly doubt you'll be asked how much money you're looking for -- most companies have standard rates for internship programs.

As far as questions go, you'll probably get questions related to subject matter related, situational, and what you can bring to the table (experience, skills, ambition, a killer flan recipe, etc.).

Remember to ask lots of questions and seem interested in the position. Good luck!

-geoff

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: HappyPuppy
Go to Taco Bell before the interview and order a Giganto Bean Burrito. You'll do just fine. :D

and pass a nasty one at the interview? GREAT IDEA! :D

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
also is it a good idea to call the HR personnel and ask what dress code is required?

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: z0mb13
also is it a good idea to call the HR personnel and ask what dress code is required?

<---- works in Recruiting

Always dress for an interview when you're interviewing! A suit is good, particularly for the position you're interviewing for. Even if the company dress code is casual, you won't go wrong dressing formally for the interview.

Don't be afraid to answer the interviewers questions and then ask them, "was that specific enough or would you like me to go on?" Don't ramble, don't answer too short, and get feedback from them on the length and detail of the answer they're looking for.

Ketteringo

Banned
Feb 2, 2002
Originally posted by: ggavinmoss
I highly doubt you'll be asked how much money you're looking for -- most companies have standard rates for internship programs.

As far as questions go, you'll probably get questions related to subject matter related, situational, and what you can bring to the table (experience, skills, ambition, a killer flan recipe, etc.).

Remember to ask lots of questions and seem interested in the position. Good luck!

-geoff

This is what I bring to the table....

*stands up*
*ziiiiiip*
*FLOP*

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: HotChic

<---- works in Recruiting

Always dress for an interview when you're interviewing! A suit is good, particularly for the position you're interviewing for. Even if the company dress code is casual, you won't go wrong dressing formally for the interview.

Don't be afraid to answer the interviewers questions and then ask them, "was that specific enough or would you like me to go on?" Don't ramble, don't answer too short, and get feedback from them on the length and detail of the answer they're looking for.

thanks for the tips!

I will definitely suit up

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
You need to get a good night rest before the interview. Dress nicely as HotChic said. You probably will be ask questions such as: what is your weakness/strenght, what will you do if you face this and that situation, how will you handle yourself in a touch/stressful situation, tell more about yourself, what can you bring to the table/why should we the company hire you.

Be prepare to answer those questions in short and precise answers, don't ramble but get to the point (1 to 2 minutes). Show your enthusiasm (if you don't care about the job why the company will bother to hire you).

Just be yourself, don't be nervous. Show the interviewer who you are and what you capable of and you will be ok. Good luck.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Don't say that salary is not important... it is, and usually both sides have a respect for that.

On the other hand do not work to bring up the subject yourself since it gives the impression that you are just working there to line your pockets. They will ask the question.

Its important to give the interviewer an answer if the question is asked instead of dancing around the issue. A tactic suggested to me was to give a salary range of say of 4-7k with your target in the middle of the scale. Add that you are very interested in the position and it?s negotiable.

Then at the wrap up of the interview say that you are actively interviewing but that the position in question is exactly what you are looking for if it really is, add that the best way to contact you would be by cell number because of your schedule. This lets them know that if they like you they may have to compete a little bit... making the upper end of your range appear more reasonable.

If they try to go cheap on you it may not be the ideal company to intern for.

-Remember have a list of questions about the job, company, what about your resume peaked their interest and where you can get more information about the insurance benefits (not monetary benefits)
-Remember to thank the interviewer for their time
-Remember to be on time, not late and not early.
-Remember to follow up with a phone call or thank you email the very next day to the interviewer!
-Carry a nice portfolio binder with slots for business cards. If possible visit the competition of the company you are interested in and pick up a card from each competitor to sit prominently in your binder for when you take it out to make notes or reference your questions ;)
-Always wear a suit w/ tie.
-Make solid eye contact when answering questions but don?t be freaky (lack of eye contact is a really common problem I hear)

That?s all of the top of the head? good luck!

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
Dress nice if you need to. Once I was turned down for a position, and I asked for some feedback from the interviewer, and his comment was something like: "I think you could've done the job, but I think the other candidates can too, and you're the only one who didn't wear a suit to the interview. You really should've worn a suit." That bothered me. I did pick up on that a little bit during the interview though. It was kind of an uptight place(in terms of dress code), and the security guard and I were seemingly the only guys not wearing a suit in the building. Well... truth be told, I only have one suit, so had I been hired, I probably would have broken their dress code from Tuesday on. :p Anyway, with my current job I can go to work in shorts and sandals. More $$$ too. So kiss my ass, Canes. Oh, for this job, I went to the final interview wearing jeans and a polo shirt. This stuff really depends on the corporate culture.

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by: poopaskoopa
Dress nice if you need to. Once I was turned down for a position, and I asked for some feedback from the interviewer, and his comment was something like: "I think you could've done the job, but I think the other candidates can too, and you're the only one who didn't wear a suit to the interview. You really should've worn a suit." That bothered me. I did pick up on that a little bit during the interview though. It was kind of an uptight place(in terms of dress code), and the security guard and I were seemingly the only guys not wearing a suit in the building. Well... truth be told, I only have one suit, so had I been hired, I probably would have broken their dress code from Tuesday on. :p Anyway, with my current job I can go to work in shorts and sandals. More $$$ too. So kiss my ass, Canes. Oh, for this job, I went to the final interview wearing jeans and a polo shirt. This stuff really depends on the corporate culture.

what kind of job do u do?

z0mb13

Lifer
May 19, 2002
thanks a lot for the good inputs people!

hmm ok the HR lady of the company contacted me, and I am scheduled to meet this one guy for an interview. Should I contact her back to ask what title he has? I mean about what job the guy has

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
thanks a lot for the good inputs people!

hmm ok the HR lady of the company contacted me, and I am scheduled to meet this one guy for an interview. Should I contact her back to ask what title he has? I mean about what job the guy has

No, you'll sound really high maintenance. Just ask the guy when you meet him. Remember to have a firm handshake. If you're a palm sweater, wipe before you shake. ;)

Also, for God's sake, if you put something on your resume you damn well should be ready to talk about it. I've intereviewed too many idiots for intern positions who couldn't defend their resume. So annoying.

-geoff

patrick409

Aug 13, 2003
definitely agree with everyone here.

1) Know your resume. Cant stress this enough. Half the questions are about your resume, or based on things you put in your resume.

2) Be confident. Chances are they're not there to break you, they just want to get to know you better.

2) Smile. Good eye contact. Dont stare at your shoes and dont mumble.

4) Unless you're applying to be a life guard or something, wear a suit. They'll tell you if they dont want you in a suit.

5) Be friendly.

I dont know about salary, never negotiated before. I doubt you'd get to negotiate for an internship though, it's usually take it or leave it.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Since a lot of people trip over "Tell me about yourself," remember that usually the interviewer doesn't know what other questions to ask. If he was on top of it, he would have been able to read your resume carefully and be able to ask you very specific questions about your experiences to see if you know what you're talking about. Otherwise, the tell me about yourself question gives you the upper hand in that you can go on about how good you are and be able to leave out any shortcomings you have.

Also, call or email, whatever the preferred method of contact is, about 2 days ahead of time to get a confirmation that the interview is still on so they can remember your name because it keeps on popping up.