Need input on a cpu upgrade

DragonFire

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
My current config:

OCZ Powerstream 520
DFI UT-SLI-D /with 7.04-2BTA bios
Opteron 148 @ 2.86Ghz /w 1.48V (water cooled)
2GB 1GBx2 OCZ PC3200 Plat (OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K)
XFX 7800GT

I plan to get Supreme Commander which benefits from dual core processors. I was planning on getting a Opteron 175 because of the 11x multiplier but after looking around I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to just go with a 170 or 165? So I'd like to hear any input you guys/gals might have.

One thing to keep in mind, I must keep my memory under 210Mhz otherwise I have issues. Unless someone has some ideas on what memory timings I could try that might work. Running at 3-3-3-8 at the moment.....

I am hopping to over clock the chip to around 2.8Ghz and yes I know every chip is different. Could someone refresh my memory, are opteron's multiper locked downward or upward?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
About the only ones reaching 2.8 Ghz+ are the 165's. Your memory should be able to go much higher than 210 Mhz, though. Are you giving it 2.8v of vdimm? If so, your subtimings aren't right. My memory has the same IC's as yours, and will do 225 @ 2.5-3-2-5 timings. Other people with OCZ Platinum report the same speeds @ the same timings. Most OCZ Platinum will do at least 238 Mhz with 3-4-3-8 timings. Use this page to discover which subtimings you have set wrong: link. Specifically, tRC, tRFC, & tREF.

txtmstrjoe

Aug 10, 2006
Whether or not any Opteron dual-core can get up to 2.8GHz is largely dependent on the stepping of the chip you get. This is largely true of the 165, 170, and 175s.

You can check this out; it shows that certain batches of Socket 939 Opterons were better than others. Not all Opteron chips are created equal, obviously.

Of course, it stands to reason that many of the successful 2.8GHz and up Opterons are the 165s, because these are the most affordable. However, steppings are more indicative of overclocking potential because they indicate 1) which version of IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) is in the chip, and 2) which batches were statistically more able to reach a target frequency. In other words, the steppings data in that link is an illustration of the law of averages at work.

Presently, it'll all be a game of chance as to which stepping you get. Maybe you'll get lucky and get yourself a CCBBE 0610DPMW Opteron.

Good luck! And hope this helps.