mez42

Mar 31, 2010
Current build:
intel q6600
4gb ram
650w ps
8800gtx
vista 64

So far, I haven't really hit anything other than crysis that I can't run well, but I'm thinking of picking up bad company 2, which looking at benchmarks I probably won't be able to run that well maxed out. But the more pressing issue is the constant overheating and crashing of my current card, and that's only going to get worse as my room temperature goes up in the spring / summer.

Usually I don't do individual upgrades, I ride a pc until it can no longer keep up, then just build a new one. My current guy is just under 3 years old, I'm hoping to get another year or two out of it, and given that I haven't been cpu or memory bound by anything yet, I think I'll be fine with that.

Anyways, on to the important stuff. I've previously always gotten nvidia cards, they've been the performance king each time I've built a machine. However, the price, power, and heat of the 480/470 have completely turned me off, given their minimal performance gain over the 5870/5850. The only minor advantages I see to them are the physx stuff (that hardly any games make use of) and whatever IQ bump the tessellation edge they theoretically have provides (probably a ways away before we find out in anything other than technical demos). The next level down, nvidia's 260/275/285 just don't seem to compete on a price vs performance level with any of ati's stuff. So, we're off to ati land. I've been somewhat eyeing the 5850, my only hesitation is that I'll either be dropping $300-350 on a card I'll be replacing in a year or two when I do the rest of the system, or I'll keep it and have a vid card a couple years behind the rest of the machine. Is there a better option in the $150-200 range that will give me a big enough performance boost to make it worth it, and still hold me over for up to 2 years? And more importantly, what are good brands for ati cards? EVGA's been great to me, but they're obviously not an option if I go ati.

Blue Shift

Feb 13, 2010
And more importantly, what are good brands for ati cards? EVGA's been great to me, but they're obviously not an option if I go ati.

A lot of people like ASUS and MSI, as they make some quality parts. Personally, I tend to prefer Sapphire for ATI cards and XFX for nVidia parts, because I really like some of the things they've done with non-reference boards and innovative cooling solutions. XFX is spending this generation on the Red side (or so it looks), so you'd be in good company.

In fact, most companies make nice parts for ATI right now... The only one that I know of right now to avoid at all costs is PowerColor, but someone else may be able to add to this would-be list.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
Sapphire for me as well. I have a x1950 512mb that I OC'd a beat up for years and it still runs.

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I'll add visiontek as well for its lifetime warranty, though honestly I've never had to deal with them before. There's the 5770 which is a nice card, but a good bit slower than the 5850. You can get it for under $150 however and in crossfire it's faster than a single 5850.
Whether or not a single one will last you 3 years is questionable though and depends mostly on what games you play and at what resolution. Even now a single 5770 isn't enough for metro 2033 maxed even at relatively low resolutions. Of course even higher cards struggle with that game.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Current build:
intel q6600
4gb ram
650w ps
8800gtx
vista 64

So far, I haven't really hit anything other than crysis that I can't run well, but I'm thinking of picking up bad company 2, which looking at benchmarks I probably won't be able to run that well maxed out. But the more pressing issue is the constant overheating and crashing of my current card, and that's only going to get worse as my room temperature goes up in the spring / summer.

Usually I don't do individual upgrades, I ride a pc until it can no longer keep up, then just build a new one. My current guy is just under 3 years old, I'm hoping to get another year or two out of it, and given that I haven't been cpu or memory bound by anything yet, I think I'll be fine with that.

Anyways, on to the important stuff. I've previously always gotten nvidia cards, they've been the performance king each time I've built a machine. However, the price, power, and heat of the 480/470 have completely turned me off, given their minimal performance gain over the 5870/5850. The only minor advantages I see to them are the physx stuff (that hardly any games make use of) and whatever IQ bump the tessellation edge they theoretically have provides (probably a ways away before we find out in anything other than technical demos). The next level down, nvidia's 260/275/285 just don't seem to compete on a price vs performance level with any of ati's stuff. So, we're off to ati land. I've been somewhat eyeing the 5850, my only hesitation is that I'll either be dropping $300-350 on a card I'll be replacing in a year or two when I do the rest of the system, or I'll keep it and have a vid card a couple years behind the rest of the machine. Is there a better option in the $150-200 range that will give me a big enough performance boost to make it worth it, and still hold me over for up to 2 years? And more importantly, what are good brands for ati cards? EVGA's been great to me, but they're obviously not an option if I go ati.

Unfortunatly the answer to this is no.
There is a used Evga gtx 260 in our forums for 125$ shipped OBO.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2063437

Thats the best deal out there! I would grab it up but I already owned one.