Need info regarding coloring your hair - kinda like dying it another color.

mulder

Oct 9, 1999
I know this is a weird request, but I'm have seen a some guys' hair who seem to have dark hair close to their scalp, but the outer parts are "frosted" with some kind of "blondish" color. Maybe "frosting" is the term for it, but I'm afraid to walk in and that without some kind of picture to show them. Do you know what I'm talking about? It looks like a something raver or skater would do?

I thought it would be cool to do, but I have not been able to find a picture I could show the hair stylist. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, do you have of a site (or anyplace) that might have something I could show someone and say "...this is what I want done."

Thanks for your help. Hopefully someone out there knows what I'm talking about.

Justin

Oct 9, 1999
That is the right term, 'frosted'. Looks pretty sweet on the right person..

Prodigy^

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
yeah, it can look very cool, but also extremely smartassed on some people.....

if you've got a decent hairdresser, I'm very sure they'll know how it looks.

damien6

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
You mean "highlight"?

Get yourself some teen fashion/hip hop/trend magazine and go through them.

WombatWoman

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2000
"Frosting" is not the term for dark roots with lightened hair above. The term is "tipping." "Frosting" involves the selective lightening of alternate strands, but the bleach goes along the full length of each strand. In "tipping," only the top portion of the strand is coloured, which results in a "black roots" look. Drew Barrymore and Brad Pitt have both sported this style in the past, so you might find pictures at fan sites.

There is a kit from Clairol called "Frost & Tip" which can give acceptable results, but I strongly recommmend going to a hairdresser, unless you have a friend who has a lot of experience doing this sort of thing.

mulder

Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the responses! Yeah, I guess "tipping" is what I want. One of the main reasons I want to do this is so I can get that "messy" look so I won't have to really care how it looks and if it sticking out all over the place. Make sense?

I am pretty sure the guy who cuts my hair can do it. He has been known in the past to do hair for musicians in their music videos and cd covers. So, I am not worried about that. I just want the assurance that what I would be getting will be what I was expecting. That's why I wanted a picture. I'll do some more searching and take a look at some magazines.

Thanks again for the help.