Need info on Intel P4 - 2.4B

framerateuk

Apr 16, 2002
Ok,

Ive finally decided to dump AMD, and go for an intel CPU simply because ive heared about the amazing overclocking speeds people are getting on there.

I read somewhere (i cant remember where) thats its possible to get a P4 - 2.4B up to 3Ghz?

What would you reccomend i use to get this kind of speed?
Motherboard?
Ram?

Ive been buying AMD's for a while and have no idea what is happening over at intels side of the fence, so if somone could help me out id be readlly greatfull!

Also, one more thing. Will PC component prices drop after christmas? Or do they tend to stay the same regardless?

Thanks

halkebul

Aug 26, 2002
Maybe they stretched the truth a little, though anything's possible with the right cooling environment. More like 2.5Ghz to 2.9Ghz. I would get a P4 1.8A and Albatron PX845PEV PRO motherboard. This motherboard is insane overclocker - get latest bios upgrade at their website. Retail cooling for cpu is very good, I commend intel in this regard. 512MB of Corsair DDR400 memory. Enjoy!

framerateuk

Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by: halkebul
Maybe they stretched the truth a little, though anything's possible with the right cooling environment. More like 2.5Ghz to 2.9Ghz. I would get a P4 1.8A and Albatron PX845PEV PRO motherboard. This motherboard is insane overclocker - get latest bios upgrade at their website. Retail cooling for cpu is very good, I commend intel in this regard. 512MB of Corsair DDR400 memory. Enjoy!

So how fast could i overclock a P4 1.8A to?

halkebul

Aug 26, 2002
Those who get lower marks usually do so because the other components they have in their system arent up to it. With the components I recommended to you, that won't be a problem. Some cpus that pop out of the cpu makin machine are exceptional overclockers while others are very good. But all 1.8As are indeed good overclockers and you should get 2.5GHz to 2.9GHz with the setup I recommended provided you have the proper information at hand.

halkebul

Aug 26, 2002
Originally posted by: framerateuk
But surely if i had a P4 2.4B i would be able to push it further than a 1.8?

Not neccessarily. The two are the same, its just that one has a different default FSB speed than the other. One 100MHz FSB and the other with 133MHz FSB.

framerateuk

Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by: halkebul
Originally posted by: framerateuk
But surely if i had a P4 2.4B i would be able to push it further than a 1.8?

Not neccessarily. The two are the same, its just that one has a different default FSB speed than the other. One 100MHz FSB and the other with 133MHz FSB.

Thanks for the info, ive been trying to find things out about intel processors for a while but havent had much success.

Ill deffinately be aiming for the setup you mentioned.

Thanks!

:cool:

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Well, with the price difference being about $40 now... though they're all out of the same factory I'm sure Intel does at least a minimum of speed binning.