Need ideas / suggestions for a senior project

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Just got the syllabus for my senior project seminar, and I'm looking around for some ideas. Any suggestions? Here's what the syllabus says:

Course Objective:

The objective of the course is to consolidate the knowledge learned during the undergraduate studies here at ___ . In particular, all students will practice designing and organizing a project by using programming skills and theory. By the end of the semester, students should have the basic experience and necessary analysis ability for algortih and project development.

Course requirements:

Students are expected to design a plan for a project, and then work out all the details of the planned project. Finally, the project will be presented in class. The prject must have real-world application value, must use Java or C++, must have a (graphical) user interface, and must have at least three different types of graphical view of the data.

Sorry if that sounds a little butchered; I tried to clean it up. English is not the professor's first language :)

Anyway, that is about all I've got. I'm going to drop him an e-mail with a couple of questions I thought up as I was driving home from class today as soon as I get done with this post. I will probably be using Java to do this project, since it requires a GUI; I haven't learned squat about handling graphics - OpenGL or DirectX, though I have played with simple SDL a bit - in any of my C++ classes.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated; I'm not looking for someone to spell out the entire project for me - just something to help get me started.

Nate

darkzephyrin

Aug 5, 2004
For my senior project I did a media player application - the complexity really depends on which part you want to concentrate on - you can find some relatively high level classes for playing media - or you can start basically from the ground up.

I focused most of my time on playlist features (sorting - classifying similiar music - and so forth) - overall, I enjoyed the project.

You may look into integrating databases into your project somehow - you can learn a lot by doing that - price lookups from some central database - cross referencing (which products are related to which) and so forth. I did this in the player application to search through various databases based on the ID3 info. Good luck - enjoy!

Good luck finding your project!

Andvari

Jan 22, 2003
Holy crap. I love computers, I love math, and I love money. Sounds like a good enough reason for me to do P vs NP for my senior project next year (I'm a junior, Software Engineer major). I'll solve it, get a million bucks, and make an A, and have fun while doing it.

At least I can shoot for it. Always good to set extremely high goals. ;)

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: tkdkid
Originally posted by: NTB
I will probably be using Java to do this project, since it requires a GUI.

:confused:

What? all we learned in the C++ courses was basic programming - using the CLI as the interface. I have the semester to plan and complete this project, in addition to a couple of other courses. I'd love to have the time to learn to do graphics using C++ but that would, for all intents and purposes, add yet another class on top of what I've already got. At least in Java, I've got *some* experience with GUIs to build on.

Nate

Kilrsat

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: BingBongWongFooey
and must have at least three different types of graphical view of the data.

Why? :confused: Seems like they're making it too specific.
Its probably to force, as part of the design, a separation of the data storage classes with the display classes. Basically making you come with with a basic API and then creating a few example GUIs that utilize it.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
Originally posted by: BingBongWongFooey
and must have at least three different types of graphical view of the data.

Why? :confused: Seems like they're making it too specific.

I agree. I had a couple of ideas (a game for one, and a few others) but that kind of screwed them up :(

Nate