Need HTPC PSU, funny dimensions.

BarryG

Golden Member
Apr 11, 2003
My el cheapo PSU in an el cheapo HTPC case has crapped out. I need a better one but am having trouble shopping since the length and width dimensions are reversed. I guess they needed some way to make the case seem less bulky (tall). Sucks. Anyway, Dimensions I've found are 5.9" (L) x 3.39" (H) x 5.51" (W) or 155mm (L) x 86mm (H) x 120mm (W).

I've written NewEgg twice (the second time just now).

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Barry

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
EMCKCHH23 <-- newegg promo code for 48hrs 20&#37; off on all rosewill psu's
if you get the one I linked above that'd be nice for you

EDIT: dagnabbit ! guess the promo expired yesterday

Last edited:

BarryG

Golden Member
Apr 11, 2003
i'm guessing you have a rosewill case ?

This one ?
Here is the psu from that case which matches your dimensions apparently.

Here is a corsair with those dimensions also EDIT: Hmmm guess not
Nope, not that case. Case I have is horizontal with no provision for vertical use. It is not a Rosewill. Remember the Lotustronics brand name on the original PSU.
Neither PSU you linked to will work. The Length and Width dimensions are reversed. Like this one from Rosewill, though not all the screw holes to mount to the case are still not quite right. Wonder what being a Dell replacement means.

Thanks, Barry

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
sounds like you won't find a replacement unless you use the exact make/model
or are willing to do some cutting/drilling ...

gl

BarryG

Golden Member
Apr 11, 2003
I'm ready to do some drilling but cannot do cutting to allow for the width. Since the case is sideways width becomes height. That would mean a six inch long 3.4 inch wide slot cut in the top to accommodate a 1/2 inch of PSU sticking up. I have the Rosewill in my "cart" at Newegg.

BarryG

Golden Member
Apr 11, 2003
Well, no PSU in Neweggs' list do I see that will fit the case. I got the dimensions wrong in the original post too. 120mm W x 85mm H x 155mm D or 4.75" W x 3.38" H x 6.1" D.

I got the PSU, plus a DVI cable and a flash drive in today and the only thing I got right was the flash drive. Not NewEgg's fault, I ordered the wrong cable and didn't get the dimensions right on the PSU.

Barry

BarryG

Golden Member
Apr 11, 2003
Anyone know where to find odd size PSUs? Not exactly ATX, SFX, TFX, ITX, microATX, . . .

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Can you solder?

Usually it's the capacitors or the switching transistors that crap out.