Need help with problem cloning C: drive

ruzicka

Dec 12, 2015
I am having a problem cloning my C: with my Windows 10 64-bit system.

I decided to install a new, bigger hard drive and clone my C: drive onto it. I noticed though that my C: drive has 6 separate partitions for some reason.

300 MB recovery partition
99 MB EFI system partition
929.87 MB C: drive boot
450 MB recovery partition
350 MB recovery partition
350 MB recovery partition
I have no idea how I got so many!

I'd prefer the new drive to not have so many partitions when I clone it, but I have no idea if I should try to first delete some of the partitions prior to cloning (and if so, which ones), or to just try and clone only certain partitions onto the new drive (and again, if so, which ones).

Can anyone help me out here?

ruzicka

Dec 12, 2015
What is the safer/easier method for duplicating a C: drive? Cloning or imaging? Some people seem to prefer one way, some the other way.

I admit to being a bit nervous doing this as I do not wish to totally screw up my PC!

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I clone in circumstances like this and very rarely have issues.

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
The terms cloning and imaging are sometimes used interchangeably. Technically, in the original definition, there can be a difference. Imaging is also used to mean backing up. That most often results in a proprietary file that needs to be restored.

Cloning is a sector by sector duplication of a drive that results in creation of an identical twin. My preference is cloning because it is immediately useful with no restoration required. This is especially true for OS drives (bootable.)

Cloning is imaging, but of a specific type and method.

Beyond that, I second Ketchup's comments.