Need help with No Bootable Device error

Doom2112

Jan 13, 2022
Hi,

My mother was playing a game on Facebook like she does every day. The screen blinked and she got the error. I told her to hold the power button until it went off. When she tried to turn it on it wouldn't go on.

The next day tried it again and it went on. I told her to press ESC while it was booting up. It didn't go to the BIOS screen. Just got the error again. Had her turn it off. Then it wouldn't go on again.

I saw different ways to get to the BIOS. F1, F12, DEL but I can't it to turn on. All the information I've found show how to fix the error when the laptop is on.

Is there anything I can do do if it won't turn on? It wasn't dropped or damaged in any way. I don't know why it suddenly doesn't see the HD.

It's an HP Aspire. Can't be more than 1-1 1/2 years old. 2 tops.

EDIT: I was able to get into the BIOS. There is nothing next to the Boot Priority Order in the Boot Menu. So I guess that means the HD is gone?

I also tried to re seat the HD and it doesn't even move. There's no way it could have come loose.

EDIT #2: I found a drive from her old computer. It works but there's driver for the touch pad. When I install the Windows media creation tool, will it find the correct drivers for the touch pad?

Last edited:
Reactions: Georgepeters

Doom2112

Jan 13, 2022
It seems like if you wait a while it will power on. But it just goes to the error screen. If I could figure out which button to press while it is powering up, I could get to the BIOS.

Not sure if there was anything else I could do.

Doom2112

Jan 13, 2022
I do. I thought it was an Acer and not an HP. Her last one was an Acer and lasted a few years. She doesn't use it that much.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
That's your problem right there.

Acer makes the Aspire lineup, not HP. And Acer isn't exactly known for making durable consumer laptops, if you know what I mean.

I've owned a few, they generally don't last more than two years.
acer is a great bang for buck, you get what you pay for with each laptop manufacture, none of my acers have died and they are over 10 years old.

Doom2112

Jan 13, 2022
How do I restore the OS without a disc? I don't think it came a recovery disc.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Don't worry about restoration. Just download windos 10 media creation tool and make a win10 install usb stick and it will pick up the registration automatically. Otherwise look for the windows serial number on the back of the laptop.

Also, get a SSD. HDDs are too slow as boot drive.

Last edited:

Doom2112

Jan 13, 2022
Thanks to all who replied.

I just downloaded Windows creation tool. Looking for a drive now.