need help with new GPU

Boyo

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2006
I'm building a new rig this or next month and the last piece of the puzzle is what vid card to get. I was looking at a GTX 280 or a 5870 but now I can't find them on Newegg anymore. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a fast vid card for gaming.

Shilohen

Jul 29, 2009
Hi,

5870 can be found about anywhere. As for the nVidia counterpart, it gets launched this Friday with 2 models GTX470 and GTX480 based on the Fermi architecture. We don't know what availability will look like, most tend to agree that it's is going to be hard to get it. Yet again some other rumors say that the amount will be high at launch time. also, some other think that there won't be any available on the normal channels until April 6th. So, basically, next month should be very interesting to build your new rig, but we cannot tell you what would be the best choice right away.

ScorcherDarkly

Aug 7, 2009
Letting us know the other specs of the machine, what resolution you'll be gaming at, and what games you're planning to play will go a long way to getting you a good answer.

Just a quick glance on Newegg showed 14 models of the 5870, 6 of those in stock.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
I wouldnt do anything for a couple weeks. If you like ATi, chances are they are going to drop prices. If you like nV, the cards coming out in the next week or so are going to be awesome.

If you just want the best for your needs, then compare them all and pick what works for you.

Boyo

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2006
great, thanks guys. I will just wait a few weeks until the news cards come out and others drop prices. Appreciate the help.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
At this point you should at least wait untill april 6th when Fermi is supposed to be available. I wouldn't count on being able to get one of those but if any downward pressure is going to happen on prices for high end card it's going to start in the next 2-3 weeks. Then you might be able to pick up a good used card from someone upgrading or hopefully GTX280s and 58xx card come down in price a bit.