Need help with network

JE78

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2004
I just upgraded this guys network. He had 2 computers on it, one computer running Win 2000 Pro, one computer running Win98se. He wanted to go wireless, so I had to upgrad the Win98se system to Win 2000 Pro and installed the wreless network card. Started the computers and had both computers seeing each other. So far so good.

Here's where I ran into problems, I can see the files I'm sharing from the 2nd computer on the main computer though the network neighborhood. When I try to see the files and drives shared from the main computer on the 2nd computer I get a password prompt. Now before I upgraded to win2000 on the 2nd computer I could see the files fine with 98se. Networking isn't my strong point so i'm kind of stumped. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of the password prompt?

FreshPrince

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2001
on the sharing computer, check the permissions of authorized users.

on the requesting computer, create username/password that is the same as the sharing computer.

you should be able to access it now.

JE78

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2004
Originally posted by: FreshPrince
on the sharing computer, check the permissions of authorized users.

on the requesting computer, create username/password that is the same as the sharing computer.

you should be able to access it now.

the permissions are setup so everyone can use them, there are no restrictions.

There isn't a password (that I know of) on the sharing computer (computer 1) so I don't know where to setup a password on computer 2.

I don't have access to the network since i'm doing it for a guy but I wanted to get an idea what I need to do when I go back.