Need help with interesting network situation

imported_KuJaX

Platinum Member
May 29, 2004
Hello Everyone,

I ordered SunRocket service with the intention of hooking it up with my interesting (unusual) network situation. I will show a diagram I just created of my current network and how it is setup. I will explain the dilemma below the image:

http://www.lan-xtreme.com/stuff/networkkujaxsunrocket.gif

Okay, so essentially this is how the network is mapped out:

LOCATION 1: Has the cable modem, Linksys Router, and a computer, while a wireless radio is plugged into the router which connects to LOCATION 2 which is approximately 2 miles away. I have set this up with commercial grade wireless equipment, so there is hardly any latency (~3ms).

LOCATION 2: From the wireless radio, an ethernet cord goes directly into a switch. The simple switch has two computers plugged into it which have access to internet flawlessly.

The problem is that I need the VOIP phone at LOCATION 2, while the router is located at LOCATION 1. This is an issue, because since there is a 2 mile wireless connectivity, I cannot stran a phone cord from LOCATION 1 to LOCATION 2 if I was to put the SunRocket Gizmo behind the Router. I also cannot have the router located at LOCATION 2 beacuse there is a computer at LOCATION 1 that needs internet.

With all of that being said, how do you believe I can structure this to work properly? I did plug the LOCATION 2 Wireless Radio directly into the Sun Rocket Gizmo (rather than to Switch) and I could use the VOIP perfectly, but the computers at LOCATION 2 didn't have internet. I even plugged the "LAN" part of the Sun Rocket Gizmo into the switch with no avail.

I then tried having the LOCATION 2 Wireless Radio plug into the switch (current working internet situation) and then plug the Sun Rocket GIZMO into the Switch. This made the computers at LOCATION 2 have internet, but no VOIP access.

There has to be some way in the world that I can use the Sun Rocket service at LOCATION 2 without having the GIZMO at LOCATION 1. Or even if the GIZMO is at LOCATION 1, having something different setup at LOCATION 2 to have internet and VOIP?

Any idea's, questions, or comments are welcome and appreciated. I would love to get this setup, regardless of what needs to be done. Lets use our brains together and figure this puppy out. :)

Pat007

May 16, 2006
Ok, if I understand everything above then this solution might work.

You need to replace your GIZMO router at LOCATION 1 with a standard router and put the GIZMO at LOCATION 2. I've noticed you already tried this, but instead configure the GIZMO's GATEWAY IP to the router in LOCATION 1. Let me know.