Need help with Fantasy Football...

Mer

Jul 4, 2001
So I'm not the biggest football fan, but a few guys at work convinced me into signing up for one of their fantasy football leagues.
While they're talking about Vikings and all that I was sitting there dumbfounded!!.

We're meeting 2morrow afternoon (monday) to do a draft.
I got sixth place in terms of the draft. They are ten of us.
Could anyone help me out by telling me which players I should be trying for.
I guess 5 players for each player position should give me a good start.

Thanks all!!

Sweetness,
Mer.

Justin218

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2001
ESPN has fantasy ratings as well. Most people like to take a running back first but this year I took terrell owens witht he 4th pick.

Sephy

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 1999
Running backs are the most valuable. Get a good RB in the first round, or a good QB.
WRs are less valuable then the two, as they will garner less points in TDs and yardage.

Mer

Jul 4, 2001
Thanks so much for the help everyone!!

I'll be reading tonight :)

Others.. please feel free to mention some names of players too!!

Thanks again.

Sweetness,
Mer.

Maggotry

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2001
Drafting depends on many factors. Generally, pick a top RB first simply because there aren't too many good ones in the league right now. Since your league only has 10 teams, everyone should be able to get a top notch rb, qb, and wr. My league has 12 teams this year. We had 14 last year. Top players go fast with 14 teams!

What does a starting line-up consist of in your league?

CtK

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
i always go by the rule take 2 RBs within the first 3 rounds
if the top 4 QB(Warner, Garcia, Manning, Culpepper), or a top 3 WR(T. Owens, Moss, Harrison)
are there in the 2nd round i would take one of them if not
i would grab another RB

this is how your draft might go
1. Faulk
2. Warner
3. A Green
4. S. Alexander
5. Garcia, Owens, Moss, Manning, Ricky Williams, Priest Holmes (this pick has been very erratic in all my drafts)

i would prob take Holmes or Owens with the 6th pick
if any of those top 4 drop to your pick you should take one of them!!

it also depends on your scoring
if all TDs are 6 pts
QBs are more valuable

sglurker

Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: CtK
i always go by the rule take 2 RBs within the first 3 rounds
if the top 4 QB(Warner, Garcia, Manning, Culpepper), or a top 3 WR(T. Owens, Moss, Harrison)
are there in the 2nd round i would take one of them if not
i would grab another RB

yea i totally agree with what you just said. always take a RB the 1st round, then in the 2nd round if WRs owens/moss/harrison are still available, take them. otherwise take another top RB

faulk/alexander/green/ricky/priest should be the top RBs this season

3rd round, i usually take WR/RB depending who i took in the 2nd round; or get a QB if warner/garcia/culpepper/manning/mcnabb are still around(which i doubt they are)

RBs u may be able to get in 2nd/3rd rounds are deuce/a thomas/martin/james
WRs u may be able to get in 2nd/3rd should be boston/rod smith/keyshawn/jimmy smith or TE gonzalez

in the 4th, i would get one of the QBs i listed on top(mcnabb may still be around if lucky), if none of them are available, grab the next best available player thats NOT a QB, cus u can get a quality QB in later rounds (like 6th/7th rounds, ie: kordell stewart/ hes actually a great fantasy QB)

then the next rounds are whoever is the best available player or whichever position u need to strengthen

oh and i always draft a kicker in one of the last 2 rounds.. kickers arent guarenteed fieldgoals anyways.. i rather not waste any higher picks on them :D

one sleeper i have been able to get in later rounds is Q Ismal (people always seem to forget about him)

thats basically my strategy for THIS season, and all of my live drafted teams have turned out pretty good

here is a list that espn ranked for fantasy games, i dont totally agree with them, but i guess it helps if you're stuck on who to draft :p

http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/ffl/Request.dll?RANKINGS&Param0=-1&Param1=0&Param2=0&Param3=0

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I totally disagree with the take the running back first strategy. You should always take the best player available! You don't state the rules for your league, but I'll assume you use traditional scoring. Having said that, the odds are pretty good that your 1st round will go pretty much like this one. Listen to these guys, and you pass on Kurt Warner, and draft Curtis Martin, Edgerrin James, or Priest Holmes. Big mistake, since Kurt scored 65 more points than any RB other than his teammate!!!

Looking at round two in the mock draft, you will have either the 15th or 16th pick, depending on if your league reverses the order every round. Eitherway taking a RB here would be a huge error. All your top guys are gone at RB, but there should be at least one of the top 3 wide receivers waiting. Not taking one would kill your chances before you got started.

In rounds 3 you almost have to grab a RB, but make sure the top 5 WR's are gone first. You never know, and to be able to get another star player would be great.

The same would hold true for round 4, look for another RB, but only take one if he scored around 100 points last year. Any lower, and they will still be around in round 6. The same can be said for any WR's at this point. After the top 6 WR's, you have around 10-15 that will score about the same. You can't say the same for tight ends though. There are only 2 that score touchdowns, Tony Gonzalez, and Marcus Pollard. Taking one of them here would not be a bad thing.

Rounds 5 and 6 are filler rounds you want the best guys remaining. You must take a TE in round 5 to have a shot at one of the top guys, if you didn't grab one in round 4. You will see that once the 1st TE is called the others are right behind.

Rounds 7 and 8 are for kickers and defense, but if there is a good player who fell through the cracks, grab him. You might find Fred Taylor here.:)

The rest of the draft is for subs on bye weeks, so make sure you know when your starters are off. Good luck, and post back with your team.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Need help with Fantasy Football...
---------------------------------------------------

OK! What I picture an all Playboy nude scrimmage on a field covered with whipped cream and instead of a football, Buzzy the Banana.

CtK

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
I totally disagree with the take the running back first strategy. You should always take the best player available! You don't state the rules for your league, but I'll assume you use traditional scoring. Having said that, the odds are pretty good that your 1st round will go pretty much like this one. Listen to these guys, and you pass on Kurt Warner, and draft Curtis Martin, Edgerrin James, or Priest Holmes. Big mistake, since Kurt scored 65 more points than any RB other than his teammate!!!

he/she has the 6th pick i think Kurt Warner would be gone by then

ppl use the take RB strategies cause there are 32 starting QBs in the NFL more or less
and you only need one QB to start
the top QBs 5-10 are gonna prob have the same fantasy points as QBs 11-15

in most leagues u start 2 RBs
and there isnt even 32 quality startin RBs some teams will use Running Back By Committee(RBBC)
thats why RBs are more valuable
whats the better team??

if u draft my way
1.6 Priest Holmes
2.15 Corey Dillon
3.26 Aaron Brooks (he will have a great year playing for a HUGE contract)

your way
1.6 Owens (he will be the BEST player available)
2.15 McNabb
3.26 Jerome Bettis

Rounds 7 and 8 are for kickers and defense

uhh no maybe for a top Defense but i wouldnt pick a D till round 10 or so
but not a kicker
i never draft any kickers till my last two rounds
i got some pretty good kickers
like Jay Feely and Ryan Longwell
let other fools pick kickers that early
not much drop off from the top 5 Ks to next 20 kickers

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by: CtK

ppl use the take RB strategies cause there are 32 starting QBs in the NFL more or less
and you only need one QB to start
the top QBs 5-10 are gonna prob have the same fantasy points as QBs 11-15

in most leagues u start 2 RBs
and there isnt even 32 quality startin RBs some teams will use Running Back By Committee(RBBC)
thats why RBs are more valuable
whats the better team??

if u draft my way
1.6 Priest Holmes
2.15 Corey Dillon

your way
2.15 McNabb
3.26 Jerome Bettis

Rounds 7 and 8 are for kickers and defense

uhh no maybe for a top Defense but i wouldnt pick a D till round 10 or so
but not a kicker
i never draft any kickers till my last two rounds
i got some pretty good kickers
like Jay Feely and Ryan Longwell
let other fools pick kickers that early
not much drop off from the top 5 Ks to next 20 kickers

I agree with this guy completely. Go with the 2 RB first rule unless someone extremely valuable drops far (i.e. Owens/Moss in the second round, Warner near the end of the first round, etc.). After that, I usually go just pick depending on how the other teams pick. Most of the time, people will pick QBs pretty early, so I usually end up picking up a QB in the third round. Usually Brooks is the only one of the upper tier QBs to still be available by this time. If he's taken along with Favre, McNabb, etc. that means there should still be plenty of good WRs available at this time. Just pick up a Brian Griese (could be a HUGE sleeper) or a McNair later on in the draft.

Another thing I like to do is hoard RBs. as CtK mentioned, you need to start 2 RBs and RBs are always tearing their ACLs all the time, and if you stockpile them, you not only provide yourself with good depth, but other teams get desperate for a replacement for their injured RB. Last year, I had James, Dillon, Anderson, and Martin as my 4 RBs and 2 of them tore their ACLs. I still won the league and ended up around 42nd or something in all of the Yahoo public leagues last year. This year, I have Ricky Williams, Shaun Alexander, Deuce McAllister, and Fred Taylor (who's a given for getting injured this year, but worth a 5th round draft pick anyway). I know those teams that are using Mike Alstott or James Stewart as one of their starting RBs is going to get desperate later on in the year and will accept any trade I propose to them.

My $0.02

edit: oh yeah. Do like the last guy said and don't draft a kicker and D until the last 2 rounds.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Perhaps, but then you have Jeff Garcia, or Peyton Manning, guys I would gladly take over any RB other than Faulk.

and you only need one QB to start the top QBs 5-10 are gonna prob have the same fantasy points as QBs 11-15

I agree 100% That's why you want a QB who's in the top 3 or 4. They will score you 290 to over 300 points. There is only one RB who can touch the 300 point mark, and that's Faulk. Things really drop after that. The next 3 RB's will score around 240 to 265 points. After that you have another 5 to 8 guys who will score around 150 to 200 points.

Where Mer is draftiing the odds are that with his second pick he will have a shot at one of the 5 to 8 RB's who will score in the 150 to 200 range. Why grab an average back when you can get an elite WR who will get you 190 to 230 plus?

if u draft my way
1.6 Priest Holmes
2.15 Corey Dillon

your way
2.15 McNabb
3.26 Jerome Bettis

Owens won't be the best player!!! Any one of the 3 QB's I've listed will score you at least 50 more points than Owens. But Owens would be good for my second pick. If not him there's Moss, or Marvin Harrison. I rate all three about the same this year, 200+ scorers. Since you stuck me with Bettis I'll take him.;) He about the level of RB that would be around for the 3rd pick anyway. And why did you stop after round 3? You need to go to at least round 8 to see the whole picture.

I will agree with you on kickers since the point swing there is low, but not on D. I like a D who can get me 170 points or more. Wait until the final round, and that's not going to happen.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I like to see the teams of those who drafted already. Be sure to state the rules of your league too. My draft is tommorrow night, so I'll post mine the next morning.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Muadib

I will agree with you on kickers since the point swing there is low, but not on D. I like a D who can get me 170 points or more. Wait until the final round, and that's not going to happen.

The problem with Defenses is that they are too unpredictable. I will give you 10 to 1 odds that you will not be able to predict the highest scoring D this year in FF. How many people do you know of that drafted Baltimore as their top D a couple years back when they went all the way? If you look at the year after that, people were drafting Baltimore in the early rounds and look where it got them. nowhere. Then it was Miami. Then it was Washington. Their "highly-touted" Defense led by Arrington was supposed to be unstoppable. Whoops. Last year, nobody predicted Chicago would have the best defense in the NFL. I picked up Chicago off the free agents last year in about the 7th week. This year, people are drafting Chicago in the about the 5th round which I think is completely stupid when you can grab a Keyshawn Johnson or Fred Taylor who are just as big a sleeper as any given defense is, except they score more points. Here is a list of defenses still available as free agents in one of my leagues:

San Francisco (DEF-SF)
Baltimore (DEF-Bal)
Jacksonville (DEF-Jac)
Seattle (DEF-Sea)
New York (DEF-NYG)
Denver (DEF-Den)
Oakland (DEF-Oak)
Carolina (DEF-Car)
New Orleans (DEF-NO)
Kansas City (DEF-KC)
Arizona (DEF-Ari)
Tennessee (DEF-Ten)
Atlanta (DEF-Atl)
Detroit (DEF-Det)
Indianapolis (DEF-Ind)
Buffalo (DEF-Buf)
Minnesota (DEF-Min)
Houston (DEF-Hou)

Now although you can speculate which teams might have better defenses this year, the uncertainty that Chicago or St. Louis will have a better defense this year than any of these available teams outweighs the high draft pick you're giving it. How many D's do you know of that have been in the top 5 even 2 years in a row? I'd rather pick up a sleeper QB/WR/RB like Clinton Portis or Qadry Ismail over ANY defense out there.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
I like to see the teams of those who drafted already. Be sure to state the rules of your league too. My draft is tommorrow night, so I'll post mine the next morning.

Here are a couple of my teams. They're from Yahoo! I drafted freakishly similar on all my drafts so all my teams look pretty darn similar. I pray to God every night that Brooks, Johnson, and Williams have decent seasons...;)

QB Brooks, Aaron (QB-NO) @TB Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
WR Holt, Torry (WR-StL) @Den Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
WR Johnson, Keyshawn (WR-TB) NO Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
WR McCaffrey, Ed (WR-Den) StL Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
RB Alexander, Shaun (RB-Sea) @Oak Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
RB Williams, Ricky (RB-Mia)  Det Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
TE Sharpe, Shannon (TE-Den)  StL Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench George, Eddie (RB-Ten)  Phi Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench McNair, Steve (QB-Ten) Phi Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Ismail, Qadry (WR-Ind) @Jac Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Coles, Laveranues (WR-NYJ) @Buf Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Chamberlain, Byron (TE-Min) @Chi Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Stewart, Kordell (QB-Pit)  @NE Mon 9:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
K Longwell, Ryan (K-GB)
DEF New Orleans (DEF-NO)

WR Glenn, Terry (WR-GB)  Atl Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
RB Alexander, Shaun (RB-Sea) @Oak Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
TE Chamberlain, Byron (TE-Min) @Chi Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Taylor, Fred (RB-Jac)  Ind Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench McAllister, Deuce (RB-NO) @TB Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Vick, Michael (QB-Atl)  @GB Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Morton, Johnnie (WR-KC) @Cle Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Green, Trent (QB-KC)  @Cle Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
K Longwell, Ryan (K-GB) Atl Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - -
DEF Washington (DEF-Was)

WR Glenn, Terry (WR-GB)  Atl Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
RB Martin, Curtis (RB-NYJ)  @Buf Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
TE Shockey, Jeremy (TE-NYG) SF Thu 8:30pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Taylor, Fred (RB-Jac)  Ind Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench McNair, Steve (QB-Ten) Phi Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Lewis, Jamal (RB-Bal) @Car Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench McCardell, Keenan (WR-TB) NO Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Portis, Clinton (RB-Den)  StL Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
DEF New England (DEF-NE)

QB Griese, Brian (QB-Den) StL Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
WR Horn, Joe (WR-NO)  @TB Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
WR Morton, Johnnie (WR-KC) @Cle Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
RB James, Edgerrin (RB-Ind)  @Jac Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
TE Chamberlain, Byron (TE-Min) @Chi Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench McCaffrey, Ed (WR-Den) StL Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Vick, Michael (QB-Atl)  @GB Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Barber, Tiki (RB-NYG) SF Thu 8:30pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Barlow, Kevan (RB-SF) @NYG Thu 8:30pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Bates, D'Wayne (WR-Min) @Chi Sun 1:00pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
Bench Johnson, Brad (QB-TB) NO Sun 4:15pm EDT - - - - - - - - - - -
DEF New England (DEF-NE)

sglurker

Jan 18, 2002
i've played fantasy fb for a few years now and i know many more experienced players would also agree with the RB first strategy

if you're in a league where most of the RBs arent gone in within the first few rounds, you should probably go find a more competitive league :p

if you dont believe me, look at espn's list of top players taken in fantasy leagues (in order):
1. Marshall Faulk, STL
2. Ahman Green, GB
3. Shaun Alexander, SEA
4. Kurt Warner, STL
5. Ricky Williams, MIA
not a surprise that 4RBs are taken within top 5 pick

but like i said, in the 2nd round, if moss/owens/harrison/garcia/culpepper are still around, grab them. or just take the next best player, but keep in mind that RBs are more valuable since there arent many good ones(and you usually have to start 2 of them)

i have a few teams (too many to list), but here is one of my teams drafted a few weeks ago:

QB McNabb, Donovan (QB-Phi)
WR Gardner, Rod (WR-Was)
WR Johnson, Keyshawn (WR-TB)
WR Burress, Plaxico (WR-Pit)
RB James, Edgerrin (RB-Ind)
RB Williams, Ricky (RB-Mia)
TE Lewis, Chad (TE-Phi)
K Vinatieri, Adam (K-NE)
DEF Pittsburgh (DEF-Pit)
Bench McCaffrey, Ed (WR-Den)
Bench Ismail, Qadry (WR-Ind)
Bench McAllister, Deuce (RB-NO)
Bench Stewart, Kordell (QB-Pit)
Bench Barlow, Kevan (RB-SF)
Bench Freeman, Antonio (WR-Phi)

sglurker

Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: McPhreak

Here are a couple of my teams. They're from Yahoo! I drafted freakishly similar on all my drafts so all my teams look pretty darn similar. I pray to God every night that Brooks, Johnson, and Williams have decent seasons...;)

good job on gettin alexander/ricky/keyshawn on your 1st two teams :D

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
The problem with Defenses is that they are too unpredictable. I will give you 10 to 1 odds that you will not be able to predict the highest scoring D this year in FF.
The same could be said for the top in any position too. As someone once said, that's why they play the games.:) While finding a sleeper is fun, I prerfer going for the sure thing first, and then looking for sleepers. Even if you find a sleeper, most times they ride the bench for weeks before you give them any playing time.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
i've played fantasy fb for a few years now and i know many more experienced players would also agree with the RB first strategy

if you're in a league where most of the RBs arent gone in within the first few rounds, you should probably go find a more competitive league

Maybe I'm not making my point.
rolleye.gif
I'm not totally against the RB first strategy, heck If you have one of the 1st 3 or 4 picks you almost have to. But we are talking about picking 6th!!!. Picking RB's here with your first 2 picks would be suicide.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000
The problem with Defenses is that they are too unpredictable. I will give you 10 to 1 odds that you will not be able to predict the highest scoring D this year in FF.
The same could be said for the top in any position too. As someone once said, that's why they play the games.:) While finding a sleeper is fun, I prerfer going for the sure thing first, and then looking for sleepers. Even if you find a sleeper, most times they ride the bench for weeks before you give them any playing time.

My whole point is that there is no sure thing when it comes to Ds.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

Ahh but that is my point too!:) There is no sure thing in any of this!!! If there were you would have won the superbowl every year you've played so far. I'm 2 for 5 in the league I'm in now, with one other playoff appearance.

McPhreak

Diamond Member
Jul 28, 2000

Ahh but that is my point too!:) There is no sure thing in any of this!!! If there were you would have won the superbowl every year you've played so far. I'm 2 for 5 in the league I'm in now, with one other playoff appearance.

I have won every year I've played. I'm 3 for 3 so far and playing in 2 Yahoo! Winners Leagues this year (#1090 and #7145. The third League I won was the first Winners League I won a couple years back. Unfortunately Yahoo! doesn't offer a winners of the winners league league...oh well...:)

Injuries aside, there's plenty of sure things when it comes to player performances. Yes, there are sleepers which nobody could have foreseen, but most starting players perform at a fairly consistent level from year to year. I know for a fact that barring serious injury (and no, there are not THAT many serious injuries), the top 5 WRs in the league will include Moss, Owens and Harrison. And I can go down the line: David Boston, Torry Holt, Rod Smith will be in the top 10. This cannot be said about defenses. I can bet you that of the top 3 "rated" defenses: Chicago, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh, at least one of them won't be in the top 5 (my guess is Chicago), and I would even go as far as to bet that none of those 3 will end up the number one defense this year. With the new divisions in play this year, there is absolutely no telling how any of the teams defenses will perform.