Need Help with DVD Author(ing)

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
I'm using TMPGEnc to convert an mpeg file to .m2v which works fine, but when I use DVD author to convert to .vob the video file I'm converting loses its sound :| Do I need to extract the audio file from the original mpeg file and have seperate video and audio source files to merge in DVD Author?
How can I do this? Virtual Dub gives an error when I try to extract the audio from the .m2v, should I extract the audio from the original mpeg file instead?
Help please!
Thanks in advance

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Update: ok, I took my own advice and extracted the audio file from the original mpeg using virtual dub and am now re-encoding into .m2v using TMPEGEng, hopefully that will work...

Joker81

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2000
You have to make sure the Audio is the right Frequency for DVD's I think 48000 or 44100 I can't remember.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Joker81
You have to make sure the Audio is the right Frequency for DVD's I think 48000 or 44100 I can't remember.

I don't think that's the problem... Even when I just try to play the .vob file on my PC it plays without sound :(
As I said, I'm re-encoding right now and I'll know in a couple hours whether or not it worked. I wish I had a dual-Opteron system for this stuff ;)

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
I'm using TMPGEnc to convert an mpeg file to .m2v which works fine, but when I use DVD author to convert to .vob the video file I'm converting loses its sound :| Do I need to extract the audio file from the original mpeg file and have seperate video and audio source files to merge in DVD Author?
How can I do this? Virtual Dub gives an error when I try to extract the audio from the .m2v, should I extract the audio from the original mpeg file instead?
Help please!
Thanks in advance

Just re-encode your mpeg to the right bitrate and resolution and you're set.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Have you tried using DVDShrink? Or are you trying to turn other formats into dvd burnable formats?

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Have you tried using DVDShrink? Or are you trying to turn other formats into dvd burnable formats?

I'm converting a standard mpeg to .vob (DVD) format. TMPEGEnc just finished encoding and the audio track on the resulting .m2v plays but is at least 10-15 seconds behind the video :(

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: Nocturnal

I'm converting a standard mpeg to .vob (DVD) format. TMPEGEnc just finished encoding and the audio track on the resulting .m2v plays but is at least 10-15 seconds behind the video :(

Silly computer... DVD Author finished authoring the .vob file and the audio synched back up with the video perfectly. Go figure
rolleye.gif

I just hope Nero doesn't eff anything up in the burning process ;)