Question Need help with choosing SSDs.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Running a Dell G5000(in my sig)

Originally, I meant to use an intel 660 nvme ssd for my boot drive. But that changed my boot times to over 4 minutes... Somone in AT forums smartly suggested that nvme drives are no good for booting windows. I changed to a regular cheapo 2.5" ssd for my boot drive and my boot times changed to around 8-10 seconds. I been using the 1TB Intel 660 nvme for my games since then.

I am seeing a crazy amount of super cheap $85 2TB 2.5" SSDs and 2TB Nvme sticks for around $100. I'd like to upgrade but I need help with my boot drive.. What would be a good budget drive given my mobo will only do up to Gen 3 speeds?

I don't want another 4 minute boot drive.

OlyAR15

Oct 23, 2014
. Somone in AT forums smartly suggested that nvme drives are no good for booting windows.
That is utter BS. Windows boots up fine with NVMe drives. Even a bit faster than SATA drives, although you really won't notice it too much. Sounds like there is a configuration issue, or your mobo just doesn't work well with NVMe drives.

Reactions: Muadib

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
Running a Dell G5000(in my sig)

Originally, I meant to use an intel 660 nvme ssd for my boot drive. But that changed my boot times to over 4 minutes... Somone in AT forums smartly suggested that nvme drives are no good for booting windows. I changed to a regular cheapo 2.5" ssd for my boot drive and my boot times changed to around 8-10 seconds. I been using the 1TB Intel 660 nvme for my games since then.

I am seeing a crazy amount of super cheap $85 2TB 2.5" SSDs and 2TB Nvme sticks for around $100. I'd like to upgrade but I need help with my boot drive.. What would be a good budget drive given my mobo will only do up to Gen 3 speeds?

I don't want another 4 minute boot drive.
I can relate, I have an 8 year old Dell Vostro laptop which has a 500GB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD in it. That things takes 8 seconds from the moment you press the power button till you see the desktop screen. On any other NVMe drive on any of the 10s of laptops I've owned since then, it takes 20-30 seconds till I see the desktop. NVMe SSDs are much faster once you're in Windows but the issue is the motherboard takes time to initialize the NVMe controller which hurts boot time performance big time. When I press the power button on my current Alienware m15 laptop for example, it takes like 10-15 seconds until I see the Windows loading spinning logo where the old Dell Vostro would already be on the desktop by that time.