Need help with an X2 4400

mentalcrisis00

Feb 18, 2006
Hey all

I just reformated my PC recently and reset the CMOS before hand, which is something I generally do. Anyway I went into the BIOS and changed all my settings to what I usually do and when I save and get back to the post screen I get this message "WARNING your computer is now in safe mode, please resetting the cpu frequency in the BIOS". Could someone please clue me in on whats going on here? Is my board messed up or something? I'm running a socket 939 AMD X2 4400 and an Epox nforce 4 ultra board I have my frequency at 200 and my multiplier at 11 which should be correct because that gives me 2.2GHZ. I tried running frequency on auto and loading default optimized settings but I still get this retarded message. This board is like a no brainer to set I don't understand what the problem could be, I also have HT to auto.

Any suggestions?

-Ray

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Everything i found online with the same error message you are getting is due to overheating issues with the cpu. A couple people have said they fixed that error by cleaning out their heatsink/fan and removing it and regreasing it with thermal compound. After they reseated it they fixed that error.

good luck :)

fk49

Aug 12, 2006
I've gotten that message a few times and I think it's just a motherboard issue.
When the message shows up for me, it's usually because I'v e overclocked too high and I turn down the clocks a bit and it goes away.

I don't know why it would have those problems when you're on default though. Have you tried "manually" setting the different settings to the "stock" speeds? Eg multiplier to 11x, HT to 5x.