Need help with a hot processor

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
I built the computer in this wishlist:

Newegg

Everything is running fine, but the temp on the processor is showing up as 65C in the BIOS. I used some Arctic Silver Ceramique, and I've built plenty of computers in the past (and overclocked on aircooling), so I know how to apply thermal paste. I can't understand what could be wrong. I put some AS5 on there as well to see what would happen, and I got the same temps. The case is extremely well-ventilated, and I even put an extra 120mm fan in the front (it has brackets for it).

Can anyone tell me what might be happening? I don't think it's safe to run this computer at 65C.

Oh, and here's the cooler:

Text

Update: After running Prime95 for 10 minutes, he said it hovers around:

Core 0: 15 - 22 degrees C
Core 1: 21 - 30 degrees C

Are these possible? Can I get temps like this, at stock speeds, under load, with just air cooling?

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
The BIOS says 63C - 65C whenever I reboot after idling for awhile. Is that what you're asking?

PianoMan

Jan 28, 2006
The BIOS typically reports the temp of a sensor in/near the socket. CoreTemp will read the internal processor temps. Google "CoreTemp" and run. It doesn't install, just remains an executable.

Your mobo sensor could be off a bit.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: PianoMan
The BIOS typically reports the temp of a sensor in/near the socket. CoreTemp will read the internal processor temps. Google "CoreTemp" and run. It doesn't install, just remains an executable.

Your mobo sensor could be off a bit.
I'll do that, thanks. I hope this is the problem, because I can't understand what could be happening. Thanks for the help, hope this does it.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
yes, get coretemp, cpuz, orthos, TAT, everest, speedfan, and gpu-z. You can google all of those, and they are very useful when diagnosing your temp problems.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
OK, my friend ran Coretemp, and it is telling him that core 0 is at 7 - 9 degrees C, and core 1 is at 8 - 10 degrees C. Is that even possible? I'm sure that was idling, but is that possible???

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Ilmater
OK, my friend ran Coretemp, and it is telling him that core 0 is at 7 - 9 degrees C, and core 1 is at 8 - 10 degrees C. Is that even possible? I'm sure that was idling, but is that possible???

No, that's not possible. Is your CPU an E8400? They have known temp reporting problems.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
OK, I had him run Prime95 for 10 minutes, and he said that it hovers around:

Are these possible? Can I get temps like this, at stock speeds, under load, with just air cooling?

Even if they're wrong, they differ VASTLY from what the motherboard reports, so I know there's a problem somewhere with the temps being reported.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Bump for some help. My only question is whether or not those temps are possible, at stock speeds, under load, with just air cooling?

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
I won't bump again, but I wanted to ask one last time. All I need to know is this:

Is it possible to get the following temps from Coretemp after running Prime95 on a 5400+ (not overclocked) for 10 minutes that has only air cooling: