tilki

Mar 1, 2000
I just built a new system with following components:

Motherboard: Abit AB9
CPU: Intel Duo E6400
RAM: 2 x 1024 PC6400
GPU: Leadtek PX8800 GTS
Operating System: Windows XP SP1

WHen installing the GPU Windows gave an error message about some compatibility issue (incompatibility!!) but I nevertheless continues with installation. It seems to operate normally in windows when I am not doing anything that needs heavy graphics. But I start games like Company of Heroes or Total War 2 it crashes within a few minutes and system either resets or freezes. Some friends suggested that it is due to XP's SP1 edition and problem will be solved if I install SP2.

Any ideas?

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
If SP2 ends up fixing the issue, I highly recommend http://www.nliteos.com/ for making an XP install disk with SP2 slipstreamed from your current XP+SP1 CD.

edit: works great for RAID 0 drivers too.

Mellman

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Genx87
SP2, why people havent installed it is beyond me.

"because its buggy, slow, and validation is annoying"

LOL...yeah, i don't understand why people havn't installed it at this point either...ive been using it since release and 0 issues here...

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Mellman
Originally posted by: Genx87
SP2, why people havent installed it is beyond me.

"because its buggy, slow, and validation is annoying"

LOL...yeah, i don't understand why people havn't installed it at this point either...ive been using it since release and 0 issues here...

Buggy? Slow? Validation? Sounds like you do not have a legal copy :)

Anyways I went from sp1 to sp2 and no game FPS or 3dmark decrease so how is it slow?

tilki

Mar 1, 2000
No it did not solve the issue. Even after trying to install my Winfast PX8800 GTS with NVidia 97.02 drivers I get the following message:

"the software for this hardware did not pass the Win Logo test to verify its compatibility with XP".

What do I do??

tilki

Mar 1, 2000
Did that...systems seems to operate normally until I start playing a game. Then in 2-3 minutes system crashes or resets...

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I occasionally get random lockups with my GTS as well, though completely random and very sporadic. Like maybe once or twice a week, especially if I'm flipping between several games a night without a reboot. I currently blame the infantile driver support for the 8800.

Also, check your GPU temps. If you have nTune or the NV Control panel, you should be able to open it up and monitor the temps in the background while you play. You may be overheating, especially since it's only happening when you stress the card.

As far as the SP2 thing goes - there are people in this world who can't use it. My father for example, who has a select few applications that will no longer run with SP2 due to the security changes that were made. Of course these are older legacy DOS and Windows applications which there are no upgrades for... but still, before people go chanting "Pirate! Pirate!" they need to give the benefit of the doubt.

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
Originally posted by: tilki
Did that...systems seems to operate normally until I start playing a game. Then in 2-3 minutes system crashes or resets...
1. Make sure the PCI-E power cable is attached to the video card.
2. Did you uninstall previous video drivers first? If not, run DriverCleaner.
3. Also, try underclocking the GPU/mem using coolbits.

If #3 reduces the crashing, you have a power or heat problem. Let us know what power supply you have, and check your GPU temps (immediately after the crash) like SunnyD suggested.

BTW, the compatibility warning is just because the G80 products are so new that their drivers have not yet been certified to work with XP. nVidia will release a better driver later on. Note that some people have had better luck using the slightly older drivers that came on CD with the card instead of downloading the ones from nVidia's site.

tilki

Mar 1, 2000
My power supply is 500W Enermax Liberty. GPU power cable is attached but I did not uninstall the old driver first, I'll try. I will also try the driver that came with installation CD.

Thanks for the advice.

Alkaline Sugar

Sep 20, 2006
yeah sp2 is most likely the problem. Dx9ccomes with it, and if you have not installed it manually that is the problem.

tilki

Mar 1, 2000
Still no...

I uninstalled current driver, cleaned NVidia files by regedit, and then installed default driver that came with installation CD but the problem was still there.

With default driver I managed to run Performance Test in Company of Heroes though, with recommended settings where AA was turned off automatically, but then when I tried to turn AA on system immediately crashed.

I am planning to try beta 93.81 drivers today and unless that solves the issue I am returning the GPU. Any ideas at this point?