Need help updating Crucial M4 SSD firmware

Xerin7

Feb 2, 2007
I tried updating my Crucial M4 SSD yesterday to the latest firmware, but ran into issues. I tried burning the zip file on a CD, and also burned the extracted files on another CD, but neither would boot up. I set the CD drive to the first drive in BIOS, and changed it to IDE per the instructions, but every time it bypassed the CD and went to Windows. Any suggestions on how to get it to recognize the CD and run the firmware update?

Also, is it really necessary to change my SATA cable from the 3.0 (6GB) port to a 2.0 (3GB) port in order to do the update? I left the cable in the 3.0 port when I tried yesterday, but can't see why that would keep the cd from booting.

Thanks

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
You'll need to create a bootable CD, not just burn the ISO file onto the CD. In Win7, right click the ISO file. Win7's built in ISO burner should have the option 'burn disc image' which will create the bootable CD.

Last edited:

Xerin7

Feb 2, 2007
You'll need to create a bootable CD, not just burn the ISO file onto the CD. In Win7, right click the ISO file. Win7's built in ISO burner should have the option 'burn disc image' which will create the bootable CD.

Thanks Razel! Am I ok keeping the drive plugged into the SATA 3 port or do I need to change it to SATA 2?

VI3L

Oct 14, 2005
You shouldn't have to plug it into sata 2 but I do believe it needs to be in port 1 or 2 on your motherboard. Hope this helps.