Need help troubleshooting AGP video card. Is BIOS reset needed??

Petros_k

Jan 20, 2014
( Related post for my video card questions was originally here:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=35975429#post35975429 )

I tried to install the GeForce FX 5500 AGP 4X video card today and ran into some problems. System is an old Compaq EVO D310 with an AGP 4X slot and an onboard Intel 82845G graphics controller that I want to ultimately disable.

When the video card is installed, the system turns on, but won't boot. I get one long beep followed by two short beeps, monitor screen stays black (when monitor is plugged into the original onboard VGA connector as well as the VGA connector at the new video card). The keyboard LEDs at the number lock pad flash. Some research revealed for Compaq systems this means:

"Video error: Check the video adapter and make sure it's seated properly. If possible, replace the video adapter."

*Please note, when I power off, pull out the video card, and reboot, everything goes back to working normally. No errors. Does that sound like a BIOS error (i.e., BIOS needs to be reset)?

If there was a problem specifically with the AGP slot for Compaq systems:
"7 beeps (1 long, 1 short, 1 long, 1 short, pause, 1 long, 1 short, 1 short):
AGP video: The AGP video card is faulty. Reseat the card or replace it outright. This beep pertains to Compaq Deskpro systems." But I'm not getting 7 beeps.

Fan on the video card runs. So, I don't think it's a power issue. There are no other power connectors for this AGP card. All electricity seems to be supplied from the slot itself.

Someone here http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Busine...roblem-with-Evo-D510/td-p/624347#.UuGWvlPn9QI said, "3 beeps (1 L, 2S) is Video RAM memory. If you don't have an added Video card, then I would suggest you add 1, do a clear CMOS...and then Reboot using an added VGA card." Video RAM? I have no clue what he's talking about.

-- But, at the same link above someone says:

"For the D310 MT 1 long and two short beeps is Graphics Controller not present or not intialized. The recommended actions are:

1. Clear CMOS
2. If you have a add-in graphics card, reseat it.
3. Reseat the riser board if applicable.

[He continues] I believe that both of these models [Evo D510 and D310] have graphics controllers built on the motherboard. I also believe that the onboard graphics controller uses shared memory, that is it does not have a dedicated memory chip/s for the video. Therefore if you have a problem with a "main" memory module that can cause a graphics controller malfunction. Also the graphics controller is part of the "chipset" chip. Therefore if the BIOS gets corrupted and does not properly initialize the chipset you could have a graphics controller failure, hence the reason to clear CMOS and get the BIOS back to defaults."

Similarly, someone here http://www.fixya.com/support/t28417-problem_compaq_evo_d310_vs_nvidia said:

"Most likely you have to move a jumper in the PC to turn off the built in video, or there may be a setting in the BIOS to choose or disable onboard video."

I've never done this before, but I know the jumper to reset CMOS is often near the battery. On my motherboard there's a green jumper with two pins, label on board reads SPWD1 (I think it's for resetting the password) , and a yellow jumper with 3 pins, label on board reads JBAT1. I think you can also just pull out the battery for 20 minutes and typically it will also reset BIOS, yes?

Do you think I need to clear the CMOS while the video card is installed to reset the BIOS? Is this potentially going to screw up the existing settings or will the system just auto-detect devices again?

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
sounds like you got all the info you need already. heres some things it sounds like you may not know or be confused about:

to reset CMOS(bios settings), power down and make sure computer is unplugged from the wall outlet. Don't wear wool when handling electronic components and touch the metal casing or powersupply casing before touching components incase of static build up. carefully remove the battery, usually looks like a watch battery with a clip on one side. If you need assistance from a tool and your not confident in ur dexterity, simply use a plastic or wooden object. after left unplugged and battery out for 5~10mins put the battery back, then plug it back into the wall to power up. You could user the jumper pins to reset cmos if your board has them, but removing the battery is less confusing and rules out mistake. Usually always safe to reset cmos, most consumers will never use anything but the failsafe defaults that it shipps with

If i recall correctly AGP cards click twice when inserting, sometimes problematic ill explain..

some agp slots are stiff, so you may need to apply firm but steady pressure to fully seat the card. uneven pressure parrallel with the slot is fine it will still eventually seat and you can push corners later if need be, just have to make sure its strait in relation to the slot vertically so it doesn't flex.

The casing itself can sometimes hinder the card from seating aswell, iv seen a cheap case that was so off it wouldn't allow the agp card to seat fully unless the cards metal bracket on the back was bent.. If you are unsure if this is your issue, if i recall correctly theres usually only one or two scews holding the metal bracket on the card, you can remove it so it has no contact with the casing for testing purpose.

not all slots may make an actually 'click', so if you don't hear 2 clicks, just be observant.

if bios reset and you properly and fully seat the card, and still same issue. i think it would then be safe to say the nvidia card is defective.

just a note - cause your refering to old equipment.. may want to also check make sure your AGP slot isn't full of dust or something? standard way of cleaning the slot would be to use compressed air can. If not bad tho I'd just blow on it, don't do that tho if your a spitter LoL. [EDIT: if u have no air can, another and even easyer way, is to use a vacuum if you have the thin plastic attachment is easily safe to use on the top of the slot, some people will tell you not to do his because of static, however they are probably confusing the static produced from the spinning carpet cleaner portion of the vacuum which is irrelevant cause that attachment isn't in use]

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
just a note - cause your refering to old equipment.. may want to also check make sure your AGP slot isn't full of dust or something? standard way of cleaning the slot would be to use compressed air can. If not bad tho I'd just blow on it, don't do that tho if your a spitter LoL. [EDIT: if u have no air can, another and even easyer way, is to use a vacuum if you have the thin plastic attachment is easily safe to use on the top of the slot, some people will tell you not to do his because of static, however they are probably confusing the static produced from the spinning carpet cleaner portion of the vacuum which is irrelevant cause that attachment isn't in use]

Don't use a vacuum cleaner, they do produce static (from the air moving across the plastic, not from the carpet-scrubber), and it would likely permanently fry your AGP port (if it isn't already).

Just buy a can'o'air.

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
I'm aware certain types of plastics can hold static. I have shocked and been shocked by random things through out life as most people, however never to or from a vacuum. not saying it couldn't happen, and i respect your input. but you think that one is perhaps a rumor spread by a static science fanatic who at some point was caught in a horror story of 'a perfect static storm' and felt the world must be saved from this?

...also just incase couldnt you touch the vacuum to the case first? just like u do your hands? pertaining to static caution

Petros_k

Jan 20, 2014
Thanks much jolancer for the reply.

There's some dust on the PC board, as you'd imagine after more than 10 years of use, but I don't think there's dust preventing contacts from meeting inside the AGP slot. I have tried to seat, and re-seat the card several times now, and usually friction and a tight fit are all you need. I will pay more attention to pushing the card down as far as it will go and to see if there's a click. The mounting bracket for the video card doesn't seem to be impeding the fit.

JumpersnearAGPslot.jpg~original

Question:
I need to be doing the hard reset of the BIOS by removing and then replacing the battery AFTER I have the new video card installed, yes? Then when I replace the battery and power-on again, the monitor should be connected to the new VGA port, the original VGA port connected to onboard graphics controller, or just try both ports?

You can see in the image above there's two small orange jumpers side by side next to the AGP slot. I was wondering if one of or both of these might disable the Intel 82845G graphics controller. The "J" in front of the letters printed on the motherboard likely is for jumper, but without a manual of some kind for the motherboard I'm only guessing.

Petros_k

Jan 20, 2014
Tried to install the video card after clearing CMOS. Here's what I did:
1.Pulled out the battery for 20 minutes.

2. Installed the GeForce FX 5500 video card. Checked the seating. It fits just as snug as the PCI soundcard that's installed. There really is no dust inside the slot. I have seated and re-seated this at least 5 times. It's a tight fit, and the friction of the metal parts should be good to be making contact.

3. Replaced battery, reassembled case, plugged in power and cables. Monitor cable was connected to the VGA port at the new video card. From Compaq troubleshooting guide: "The monitor connector on the system board is inactive if an AGP expansion card is installed in the computer. The monitor must be connected to the monitor connector on the installed AGP card for proper operation of the computer. If the monitor is not connected to the correct connector, it will not function properly."

4. Booted the system. I got a blank monitor screen and the same error as before:

Beeps: 1 Long, 2 Short
Flashing Caps Lock LED on Keyboard.

Compaq troubleshooting guide says probable cause: Graphics controller not present or incorrectly initialized.
How to fix:
1. Clear CMOS.
2. If graphics card has been added, remove and reseat.
3. Reseat riser board if applicable.

I know that I cleared CMOS because when I next powered down and pulled out the video card, the system booted into the BIOS telling me the system configuration had changed, and the time and date was not set. I was able to boot Windows again and everything works -- except the darn video card!

I can't understand it. The only other thing I can think of is a jumper on the board to uninstall onboard graphics controller. When I installed a PCI soundcard many years ago I know this did not happen. The soundcard was auto-detected and the integrated Soundmax audio device was disabled.

Here's a post where someone had a smaller Compaq system (not an EVO D310) first tried to install a ATI Radeon 9250 PCI video card and failed, but then installed a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 with eventual success. He indicates it was auto-detected with no need to disable the integrated graphics:
http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-video-card-not-working-in-compaq-deskpro-en.99714/

I was wondering if it could be the memory compatibility between what's on the FX 5500 video card and the EVO D310. I saw this in the Compaq troubleshooting guide:
"Compaq does not support mixing ECC and non-ECC memory. Doing so will cause the system to blink the Num Lock LED on non-USB keyboards continuously and, if a speaker is installed in the system, there will be a short beep followed by 2 long beeps. In addition, the system will not boot the operating system." Note though that this is NOT the same error code that I am getting, which I am sure is one long beep followed by two short beeps. I think the guide is referring only to the RAM sticks you install, but it's not clear. The system RAM I have is DDR PC2100 X 2 for a total of 2048 MB. I don't know if it's non-EEC or ECC.

I just want to reiterate that the fan on the new video card is definitely running. There doesn't seem to be a power supply issue.

There's no specific BIOS device information that I can change to disable the original Intel 82845G graphics controller. The system should auto-detect it but for some reason I get the error when powering on.

Anybody...?

jolancer

Sep 6, 2004
you did everything right, as long as your positive its fully seated.

the card is most likely damaged. I dont remember exactly which one but could of been both the FX5500 or FX5700 people liked to overclock, some kid or a cheap skate most likely fried the card long before you recieved it.

Does not matter what is installed when you reset CMOS, it will always reset. eitherway doesn't matter.

also does not matter if onboard is enabled or disabled, the aftermarket card should be operational at post. and you should have the monitor connected to the agp card on boot, some boards by default will have both the onboard and agp operational, but doesn't matter agp should be operational.

the memory issue was in reference to your system Ram only the pc2100. by default all consumer grade computers use non-ECC. your issue is nothing to do with your sys ram

a quick web search even on HP or MSI's site turns up nothing for your extinct motherboard lol.. however i think its safe to assume those jumpers have nothing to do with AGP, one might assume they are refering to fan ports or speeds. j(fan)g_ j(fan)v_ ...you could switch both jumpers for the hell of it and try and boot if your curious to see if it'l actually affect your agp.

all in all tho depending on who prevously used the agp card, they probably just broke it.

Petros_k

Jan 20, 2014
Yes. I just found a schematic for my motherboard inside the EVO D310 here:

http://elektrotanya.com/msi_ms-6541_rev_0ee1_sch.pdf/download.html

And I see the red jumpers in the image are for the CPU and PSU fan. So, there's no jumper to switch onboard graphics controller to the AGP slot.

The fan on the new video card is working when I power on the system with the slot in the AGP slot, but the system still won't boot. It's still possible that the other components are fried but the fan still works? If so, then I think I'll just return it and tell the seller it's likely damaged. They didn't ship the box for the card in another box with padding either. It was in a static-proof bag, inside a regular retail box, and then placed inside a non-padded plastic bag.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
have you checked the bios for video adapter related settings?
you normally have priority options like AGP/PCI and so on...

Petros_k

Jan 20, 2014
have you checked the bios for video adapter related settings?
you normally have priority options like AGP/PCI and so on...

In the absence of providing pics of my BIOS page:

Top of screen: Compaq Computer Corporation Setup Utility

Storage > Device Configuration (only info on IDE drives)

File > Sytem Information (no info for PCI or AGP slots)

Advanced > PCI devices :

Compaq VGA Controller IRQ 11
Compaq USB Controller IRQ11
Compaq USB Controller IRQ 5
Compaq USB Controller IRQ 10
Compaq USB Controller IRQ 11
Compaq IDE Controller Enable
Compaq Ethernet Controller IRQ 5
Audio Device IRQ 5

(Note: I can use arrow keys to disable all of the above or shift the IRQ to one or two other numbers)

Advanced > Onboard Devices:

Parallel Port: 378-37F, 778-77D, IRQ 7, DMA 3
Serial Port A: 3F8-3FF, IRQ 4
Diskette Controller: 3E0-3F5, 3F7-3F7, IRQ 6, DMA 2

(Again, the above can be shifted to a couple options or disabled)

Advanced > Bus Options:

PCI Bus Mastering Enable
PCI SERR# Generation Enable
PCI VGA Palette Snooping Disable

Advanced > Device Options:

Printer Mode EPP + ECP
Num LOck State at Power-on Off
PME Wakeup Events Enable
Processor Cache Enable
ACPI S3 Support Enable
ACPI S3 Video Repost Disable
ACPI S3 Hard Disk Reset Disable
ACPI S3 PS2 Muse Wake Up Enable
Integrated Audio Disable (*recall I have a PCI soundcard installed)
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB (**This can be shrunk or increased to 256MB, which I tried already)
Monitor Tracking Disable

I do not see a specific "AGP settings page."