Need help to find a graphics card for stock Dell 9150 that has windows 7 drivers and

fluidhammer

Mar 4, 2016
I have a Dell 9150 from 2006. I have just upgraded to windows 7 and need to find a graphics card that will match my PSU (375w) and has windows 7 drivers available. I have googled this for a few hours and didn't seem to find much info as it seems to be a bit old a dinosaur of a PC.
I would like to be able to play Call of Duty United Offensive (quake 3 engine) at full specs as I have a 1080p widescreen monitor. I have a Radeon x600 256mb at the moment but this is not an option for windows 7. I hope to find one that will play the game at 2048 x 1536 as the x600 only plays the game at 1280 x 1024. I also understand there will be limitations due to bottleneck issues and this will limit my choices and that is where I am coming unstuck with google but driver issues are a problem also.
I would really appreciate maybe two suggestions as I will have to try and find a second hand one on Ebay as funds are very limited. Thank you for your time.

fluidhammer

Mar 4, 2016
Hi Flapdrol, thanks for the list but I am in no way PC savvy enough to know which of these would bottleneck my PC etc (i only know that term from the research i have done so far). Its a minefield for a novice and I cant afford to have to buy and try a few. I was hoping someone with a lot of PC know how and experience would just know of the top of their head.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
You'll be cpu bottlenecked, doesn't matter. That's more of a consideration for people that actually spend good money on a gpu, which they then can't use fully, so they could have had the same performance with a cheaper gpu.

Just see what you can get on ebay for next to nothing, maybe in your area so you can save on shipping cost, then see if it's high enough on the list.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
This is something you definitely want to look for used, preferably locally to save on shipping. That game is even older than that computer, so really almost anything will play it at crazy high frame rates. You should be able to find something along the lines of a used GTS450 or a HD5770 for almost free, and they would have even more grunt than you need.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com
The dell 9150 has a pentium 4 processor.
Since you can't afford a new pc, I'd recommend picking up a radeon 6450/5450 or nvidia 610/620/710/720 for $10-$20.

Otherwise your money could be better spent buying a complete core 2 duo/athlon II x2 rig from goodwill/salvation army for ~$40

Last edited:

fluidhammer

Mar 4, 2016
Thank you all for your suggestions and time. It looks like I would be flogging a dead horse so I will try and get another pc sometime soon. Would an i3 pc be better than a core 2 duo. I may as well get one I can upgrade to windows 10 so I suppose any card that would work in that would be good enough.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
Unfortunately, you should probably replace it. Buying a new video card will give it some life back, but that's like sinking more money on a clunker car. If you are on a really right budget, you should wait for some sales of Refurbished PC's. You can get 2nd/3rd generation Core i3/5 for well under $200 with coupons. You can then add in something without PCIe power like the GTX 750/Ti, 950 or RX 460 and it would be acceptable for gaming.

I personally wouldn't bother with Core 2 desktops. Sure you can get them super cheap, but you're just upgrading to obsolescence. For just a few more $, you can get a Sandy/IvyBridge machine that will last MUCH longer.