Need help setting up partitions after switching from Windows to Linux

hyperion_

Jan 15, 2017
Hi guys, I have been a Windows user for most of my life. When I was using Windows my HDD was divided into 4 partitions called C: , D: , E: and F:
I had Windows on C: and all my data(Music, Photos, Documents) on the other partitions. I did this to prevent data loss. In case I have a OS corruption or the OS just got too clogged up, I could simply format C: and reinstall Windows and get back to work in a couple of hours.

Yesterday I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I did a clean install, wiping the HD and installing Ubuntu. I would like to re-create a similar partitioning here as I did on Windows, i.e. the OS on one partition and my data on the other partitions.

Right now i have one partition for EFI, one for swap, one for / and one for /home. The home partition is the largest, and contains all my data for now.

I would like to split the home partition into multiple partitions so that I can keep my data on them and not have it gone in case I ever need to reinstall Linux, like I did with Windows. Is this possible?

Also, can someone explain mount points to me? I tried creating 3 separate partitions and mounting them under /user/local(I thought it was the Linux term for "Local Volume"), but the installer wouldn't accept more than one partition under a single mount point.

Any help would be appreciated.