Need help putting my mountain bike back together.

SlickWilly

Banned
Oct 30, 1999
Would any of you guys happen to know where I might be able to find an on-line manual for assembling bike breaks? A general manual would be good, they're not real fancy. I got new tires for my bike and all but now I'm kinda screwed since I took it apart a couple months ago and I don't remember where all them washers went. Thanks.

snut

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
If its a real bike u can usually get them at the manfuctes website..like..specilized has manuals....and i think most of them time they dont tell u how to actaully assemble the bie, but stuff like safty..unless u got one of them evil torys-r-us bikes...

SlickWilly

Banned
Oct 30, 1999
Good idea man. It's a Murray bike (Toy's R Us) but brakes are brakes (pretty much). I'll check out some name brand sites though. Thanks!

snut

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
u mean bikes or bikes...i dont think so but u get what u pay for for bikes ;p

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Well, it would help to know what type of brakes they are. Brakes are NOT all the same. The most common types currently are direct pull (or V) brakes, and cantilever brakes. Cantis can be adjusted fairly easily but are hard to tweak to perfection. Direct pull brakes are super easy to work with and generally more powerful. I only have real experience with the latter, however.

Anyways, just go to http://www.mtbr.com and either ask for help on their brake forum, or ask for links to brake tutorials. I don't remember the tutorial links off hand.

billandopus

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 1999
If you have a recent bike then your brake system will probably be a Tawainese knockoff direct pull (V-brake) system. Or it may be cantilever. Anyways, just look at your brakes and see if they have some markings to identify them. Then check out the Taiwanese website for any instructions. Good luck.