Need help Please.............

Finite

Apr 2, 2002
Hey whats up, I need a little help with a bios issue. I have this friend that has a Biostar AMD motherboard with the viaKT133a chipset. The processor that he is using is the XP1700+. For some reason, even after flashing the bios with the latest updates, the system displays that it is posting at 1100 mhz instead of the 1450 (whatever) mhz it should post at. I seem to remember that with some motherboards, and the bios on them, there was a slight problem with either just not being able to display the correct speed or it actually not running at the right speed at all (in which case you update the bios).

So I've flashed the bios but it is still not showing the correct speed. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem? Is it even a problem worth worrying about? It seems to run like it should being an XP1700+ proc but its deffinately annoying seeing it display the wrong speed. The only thing I can think is that the bios flash I am using, allthough the most up to date, either isn't working for some reason, or just doesn't fix the problem.

As for the steps involved in flashing the bios, here are the steps that i have taken:

Downloaded the latest bios.bin file from Biostar's website along with the AwardFlash Utility.
Unzipped the bios file and flash utility onto a flopy disk that had been formatted as a start up disk in WinXP.
With that disk in place I rebooted the system and when at the "a:\" typed the name of the flash utility.
With the flash utility running I typed the name of the bios.bin file from which to program the bios with.
A few of the items in the update list had a no update status and the others had a completed status.
I didn't think much of the items which were not updated bacause some did update and it seemed like the ones that didn't update didn't need to be updated.
I rebooted the system and enterd the bios which had been reset by the flash, and changed the few settings that I change in there.
Saved and exited the bios and still the 1100mhz speed being posted.

Well, thanx for any and all help on this. Maybe someone else here has experienced the same problem ehh. Later :D

o1die

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Look for a 133 fsb jumper. If your board doesn't have it, you may have to settle for the 1100 speed.

tenoc

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2002
The manual is down-loadable from their site if your bud has lost his.

There are two cpu/fsb jumpers and settings in the BIOS.

As always, as an absolute last resort, read the manual. ;)

Finite

Apr 2, 2002
There didn't seem to be an option in the bios to simply switch to 133fsb. There was an option to adjust the multiplier though which I didn't mess with. Didn't check the MB for a jumper either, I was pretty sure that this boad is jumperless. Its deffinately something with the fsb though. Thanx for the help. :D

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
yup what they said :)
your currently running 100mhz fsb, you need to change it to 133mhz

if your using biostar m7vkd its done by jumpers on the board itself (the jumpers are located just below the battery, behind the dimm slots)