Need help picking out a TV!

axia55

Platinum Member
May 22, 2001
I am buying a 27" FS TV for my room at BB this week. I don't really want to spend more than $350(before 10% off)
so my choices are limited to-

JVC 27"

Samsung 27"

Sharp 27"

My question is, which brand would you recommend? Is it really worth $50 more for a Toshiba, Sony or Panasonic?
Also, I am planning on getting the 4 year warrenty for $59, is it worth it?

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Out of the three I'd get the Samsung.

And no, I wouldn't get the extended warranty. Add the $60 into your budget, get a better TV, & make the purchase with a credit card that adds a year to the manufacturer's warranty.

Viper GTS

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I got a 27" Sansui from BB for x-mas for only $180. It comes with 2 A/V in, S-video in, and one A/V out. All in all a pretty nice TV.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Samsung is total trash when it comes to CRT TV's IMO. I have seen more then my fair share of problems with them, and almost all of them have pretty serious geometery issues, and not of the fixable sort. Well over half the samsung TVs I've seen out there have problems where.. lets say your watching NBC and there is the NBC logo in the corner... when the image shifts from light to dark youll see the NBC logo shift over a good inch or two... thats not good. The other problem I've seen with them is lets say there is something straight on the side of the image... like a wall, it looks wavy instead of straight... this is especially common when using the component inputs on samsungs. I'd prob take the JVC, I'd also check out see if your local CC has the philips flat screen in... I've seen it and it has suprisingly good picture quality for a lower price flat screen, and it's on sale at CC for $299 from $350, but none here have it in stock around here according to their website.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
I have a JVC 27'' tv that's over 11 years old and it's like new.
The picture starts quickly everytime and absolutely no trouble, so i would recommend JVC in terms of longevity.. assuming that their quality standards are the same.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Just remember: you get precisely what you pay for when you buy a tv. Get a name-brand like Toshiba or Sony. I've owned FS models of both brands and I can recommend either one to anyone out there looking for an FS tv. Between the two I'd say get a Toshiba since Sony tends to be a bit higher priced for virutally the same thing (same quality, anyway). My current Toshiba 32" FS tv is without a doubt the best tv I've ever owned and for under $500 (after employee discount @ BB) I'm more than satisfied with my purchase :)

axia55

Platinum Member
May 22, 2001
I would really like to spend the extra money on the Toshiba or Sony. What are the chances of a TV suddenly going bad in 4 years?
If I get one of the cheaper ones I think I will go with the JVC, it seemed to be the sharpest and brightest. Keep the opinions coming!

axia55

Platinum Member
May 22, 2001
Hmm, that is tempting, the reason I wanted one from BB was because I have GC's and Rewardzone to use.

SoyBoy004

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
I'm looking at the same tvs. i like the jvc the best. i've had a sharp, with now a purple picture...:confused:

never had a samsung...

axia55

Platinum Member
May 22, 2001
Thanks for th input, I think I will prob go with the JVC unless I suddenly find some extra cash b/t now and weds :-d

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
I spent the last couple months TV shopping (looking at them in stores and reading reviews online and in print). I'd recommend strongly considering JVC or Toshiba for the best bang for the buck in a standard-definition TV.