Need help PASSWORD protecting folders while I share onto the network

mmx

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I want to setup a folder for certain folders I'm sharing over the network, so everytime someone links to the sever to open the folder I want a password input box to open with it.

mmx

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
xp pro. I want to have it that everytime i try to open the folder, the folder will ask for password

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Once a user opens a folder remotely, the client computer will normally remember the password and will automatically open the folder. You can turn off "Remember this password", I guess.

As long as you use password with each User account on all your computers, there's not really much reason to constantly ask for passwords for access to shared folders.

If all you want is password protection for shared folders, based upon the logged-on user, that's easy. Turn OFF "Simple File Sharing", create accounts on the XP Pro "Server" for each user who will remotely access shared data, and set the Sharing and Security permissions for the shared folder appropriately.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
Originally posted by: RebateMonger
Once a user opens a folder remotely, the client computer will normally remember the password and will automatically open the folder. You can turn off "Remember this password", I guess.

As long as you use password with each User account on all your computers, there's not really much reason to constantly ask for passwords for access to shared folders.

If all you want is password protection for shared folders, based upon the logged-on user, that's easy. Turn OFF "Simple File Sharing", create accounts on the XP Pro "Server" for each user who will remotely access shared data, and set the Sharing and Security permissions for the shared folder appropriately.

Wouldn't there be a need for password protection if there were cetain folders that you want only specific users access to? I am not aware of a way to share folders with only a certain user once group (MSHOME etc) users have been established in XP Pro.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
this is why you setup share permissions on your server. then anyone who has permissions to a specific folder will access them because their login name and password synch up with the login id and password stored on the server. I'm assuming you are working in a workgroup btw.

if you want person A to have access to server resources, you need to do the following.

1. have the client machine join the correct workgroup

2. setup the account in both the server and the client machine. you need to make sure both accounts are identical i.e. username and password.

3. setup share permissions on the folders to allow access for that account. make sure you give the correct perrmissions other wise someone you don't want to have full control may get that right.

this should help you with that problem. you should not need to have them type in a password everytime they access a folder. that just getts annoying after a while and wastes valuable time.

dnuggett

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2003
If you assume ^ then ^ is correct. What type of network are we talking about here? 03 Server environment?

ShellGuy

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
MMX,
Why not just have it so that only some users can get access to the folders and others can't. You can just do this through AD and permissions.

Will G>

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ShellGuy
MMX,
Why not just have it so that only some users can get access to the folders and others can't. You can just do this through AD and permissions.

Will G>

The Active Directory that he's running on his Windows XP server?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jpbelauskas
this is why you setup share permissions on your server. then anyone who has permissions to a specific folder will access them because their login name and password synch up with the login id and password stored on the server. I'm assuming you are working in a workgroup btw.

if you want person A to have access to server resources, you need to do the following.

1. have the client machine join the correct workgroup

2. setup the account in both the server and the client machine. you need to make sure both accounts are identical i.e. username and password.

3. setup share permissions on the folders to allow access for that account. make sure you give the correct perrmissions other wise someone you don't want to have full control may get that right.

this should help you with that problem. you should not need to have them type in a password everytime they access a folder. that just getts annoying after a while and wastes valuable time.

I think most people use Security permissions to restrict access to files and/or folders rather than Share Permissions. That way the file/folder being protected is done so via the network as well as locally.

ShellGuy

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2004
Pro could be the client not the server. This isn't the easyst thing to setup on a P2P network should use server much easier to say who can go to what.

Will G.