Need help on mini DV video capture through IEEE1394.

leosalchemist

Jan 6, 2001
I was using Pinnacle Studio DV. Just replaced the firewire card coming in the Pinnacle package with a generic one.
The symptom is that it captures about 5 second video then start dropping frames. I have to restart the computer to get another 5 second. Is there a way to get around? Or I have to stick to the Pinnacle card.

THX.:(

Liviathan

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2001
I had the same problems until I got a program called MemTurbo and released lots of memory before I started capturing.
Also make sure nothing is else is running.

What are your specs??

Yoshi

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
Why did you replace your card in the first place if everything was working OK?

leosalchemist

Jan 6, 2001
Liviathan,

Thanks for the info. Where did you get MemTurbo?

Specs are: P 4 1.6GHz, 384MB PC133 RAM(Too slow? too small?), 16MB Video Ram(Does it matter?), 7200RPM ATA/100 Harddrive. It's a dell 4300. I bought it for video editting. But it's not doing a great job. :(

Yoshi,

I replaced the card because it only had two ports. I need more.

Raycomp

Jan 30, 2002
"Specs are: P 4 1.6GHz, 384MB PC133 RAM(Too slow? too small?), 16MB Video Ram(Does it matter?), "

I'm ashamed at Dell. P4's don't run well unless coupled with PC800 RDRAM. A Pentium III 1.2 ghz would do better than a P4 with SDRAM. The 384 MB of RAM is plenty but cripled by the chipset and mem speed. A 64 mb video card would have been nice. A defragged hard drive (other than your boot drive) would greatly help as well.

PullMyFinger

Mar 7, 2001
leosalchemist,
Your machine should be able to do video capture just fine, I can do DV capture on a Celeron 850 on a BX (ata33) board. I had a very similar problem with my Dazzle DV Editor card. Problem went away when I enabled DMA for my harddrive, you might want to check your settings and make sure it's enabled for all your drives, not just the harddrive.