Need help on a new PC build (been away from the PC realm for a long time)

NurseRN

Oct 9, 1999
Fellas'!

I used to be on top at this PC building stuff but I've been over in the Apple realm for the past 8-9 years so I'm completely disconnected from what's what anymore in this area. I need your help so please, chime in with your expert advice! It'll be highly appreciated!

I need to build a minitower (or smaller if that's an option these days) system for the wife. THIS WILL NOT BE A GAMING SYSTEM! I need a system that would cost me around 5-650 dollars (maybe a bit more if really needed in terms of better and must-have hardware). I already have the LCD monitor. The system will be used for general office work (Microsoft Office Suite) and using Windows 7. She'll use primarily for dictation using a medical version of the Dragon Software which ONLY works with Windows 7 (computability is questionable with any other versions, especially version 10). The system must have a SSD (500 gigs minimal) at least 32 or more gb of RAM. I want something relatively snappy (can't decide at this point, between Intel or the AMD and which one in particular from the myriad of CPU's, is best for a build like this).

For graphics, I wouldn't mind if I stayed with on board graphics (if that makes sense these days with advanced mobo's). Same for sound. She will not be playing games on this computer but just regular video watching, internet browsing and video telephony from time to time (Skype, etc). But if you guys think that a stand alone video/sound card can be had and makes sense budget/specs wise, I'd be open to it.

I'm interested mainly in stability. When I used to build PC's getting everything to jive well together was most important. I took a look at the choices I have today in terms of everything hardware and got dizzy.

Seriously, I need your help. Thank you in advance!

PS: When you guys list the hardware, please make sure to list specific model/item , etc so that I find/purchase the right stuff.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Are you certain that 32GB RAM is a requirement? Not only does this raise the parts bill very significantly, it dictates motherboard choices, as well as mandating the use of Windows 7 Pro or better.

For what you are asking for, this is about the best that I could come up with. There's money to be saved in going with less memory and/or a normal cheap midtower case:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/crashtech/saved/hQqkTW

32_GB_sff.png

Last edited:

NurseRN

Oct 9, 1999
Really?! I thought RAM might be cheap these days (haven't checked throughly). I suppose 16gb might be sufficient. What do people put in their rigs these days in terms of RAM (non-gaming rigs)?! I think I can do Win7 Pro, that's not an issue.

NurseRN

Oct 9, 1999
This is GOLD! Can't thank you enough! We now have a "pcpartpicker" website?! I'm floored! I feel like a dinosaur. My last build was circa 2005.

NurseRN

Oct 9, 1999
Now I understand what you're talking about -- I'm going to change this to a mini-tower, regular ATX footprint. You're right. It's better, cheaper and with more space to spare (better ventilation too).

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Now I understand what you're talking about -- I'm going to change this to a mini-tower, regular ATX footprint. You're right. It's better, cheaper and with more space to spare (better ventilation too).
I suppose in that case you might want to post a new thread in General Hardware and let me this one drop, since this subforum is specifically for SFF. You'll get good advice there.

I could have sworn this was in the SFF subforum! Anyway, are you still soliciting advice for a new build, @NurseRN ?

Last edited: