Need help on a monitor choice

Gorango27

Nov 18, 2010
Good day all,

I need a new monitor and I can use some advice.

The monitor i want should be no bigger than 24" and have enough inputs to connect my PC, 360, and eventually a PS3. Portrait mode is wanted but not necessarily required. And i do not want 3D. My PC is also a pseudo media center as i watch most movies/TV shows through it.

I have a $600 budget.

I am very interested in the Dell U2410. And as of right now it is on sale, which is awesome. The only thing hindering it is the lack of 120Hz.

The Alienware monitors are also intriging, but they have less connectivity options and might not have the color reproduction compared to the U2410.

Now the only FPS i play currently are on the 360 (L4D, Halo, Black ops) and I'll probably get BF3 for PC when it comes out. I have played BF2 on PC way back in the day (on a 4:3 19") and had no problem with whatever input lag, stuttering, or what have you that I might have experienced as i am not that competitive. I just dealt with it. The rest on my PC gaming is SC2, Civ5, TF2, LoTRO, etc. and various adventure style games on the 360.

I originally had my console hooked up to a Sharp 32" LCD TV 1080p that only goes up to 60Hz and i had no complaints.

Is 120Hz worth it for the games i play? even though i never had an issue with 60Hz? Is the U2410 good enough for the 360/PS3? Is there any other monitors that you guys might recommend?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Last edited:

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Just get the U2410, 120hz isnt really that important, especially if you have never used it before. Is it good? yea, do you need it? No. the U2410 is IPS (good colour) and it is 1920x1200 resolution so it will be good if you need to do work on it at some point. And if it has the connections you need then it looks like it is your best bet.