Need Help OCing HP OMEN Laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Because FPS is a drug for me...
You've got, arguably, a really top-tier gaming laptop. If you want to got higher, then get a ... gasp... desktop! You can get an nice 12-core Intel Skylake-X CPU, for what, $1200, and then a nice X299 motherboard, for another $450, a cooler for $150, and RAM for $600-700 or so. Don't forget a 1200W Gold PSU from Corsair for $200.

Oh, and that's not even getting to the GPUs. Get a pair of 1080ti cards or Titan (whatever the newest / best gaming Titan is). Ka-ching!

Edit: Who wants to take a straw poll, whether OP is under 20, and got this laptop as a gift?

Reactions: UsandThem

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you calling a spoiled little child?
I didn't exactly say that, I was simply suggesting that it was a gift. But if you insist. :p

(I think, if he were older, he would have just stated that, so, I think my theory is right.)

Edit: I was guessing that it was a gift for getting into college. But if you're younger... well, best not to OC and ruin your nice gift, if it indeed was.

Reactions: Reinvented

Xarthisius

Sep 21, 2017
Thanks A-hole

Insulting other members is not allowed.
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thanks A-hole
It seems I hit a nerve.

Edit: I'm not hating on you, just making some observations. When I was your age, my Mom bought me tons of Nintendo games. So I was a semi-spoiled child too.

So, in the end, that's a really sweet laptop, just don't kill it, OK? Gaming laptops, especially, push the limits of cooling systems, and generally don't have a "lot" of headroom in the cooling dept. And those cheap "cooling pads" don't actually do all that much. So overclocking may not be a good idea.

Edit: If you want to learn how to overclock (I'm assuming that you're new to it), then get a cheap G3258 Haswell Pentium Anniv. Edition, and a Z97 motherboard (somewhat dated gear), and some DDR3-2133 RAM. OR get a Ryzen 3 1200, some DDR4-3000/3200 RAM that says it's "Ryzen Compatible", and a B350 or X370 motherboard.

Then, get a cheap but decent case (they're out there, something $40-80), a decent PSU ($40-80), and a monitor (very subjective, gaming-oriented monitors can be pricey), and go to town.

It's pretty close to impossible to actually "kill" a desktop rig, they have a lot of thermal shutdown, overload protection, stuff in them. Although, some motherboards will still let you put a "lethal" amount of voltage through the VRMs to the CPU, or at least an unhealthy voltage.

Look online for a guide, listing the "safe voltage" for your CPU or CPU family, and then keep your voltage below or at that level, and then... GO TO TOWN! OC TO YOUR HEART'S CONTENT.

That's my advice, anyways, from overclocking MANY desktop rigs, but having memories of a friend's P4 laptop that he used to use when we had LAN parties, and he had a small table fan blowing into the cooling ports, and it STILL overheated. NOT even overclocked.

Edit: Oh yeah, if you end up "Thermally-limited" with a desktop, there are nearly always "options", like upgraded case -> better case cooling, upgraded tower cooler or AIO water-cooling, or even CUSTOM water-cooling (top tier!).

We'll turn you into a PCMR / PC Enthusiast yet. If you want to.

But laptops, especially gaming laptops, don't have a lot of thermal headroom, unless they are advertised to allow overclocking. (And generally, OEM rigs that "allow" overclocking, are a LOT more limited in how much you can actually overclock, as compared to a custom rig like I suggested.)

Last edited:

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
It seems you need a life...
I believe Larry's life is one of the most colorful around here. He has a lot of experience in building cheap, but overclokable PC. He maybe just fed up because you very insisted on OCing your laptop.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's not really his fault he didn't grow up during the S775 desktop era, where pretty-much every rig was overclockable. Ever since then, Intel locked down overclocking ability with their CPUs and chipsets and whatnot, and thus, you have to pay extra to overclock. Which is why, his laptop CPU isn't overclockable.

But honestly, it also probably doesn't even have thermal headroom for unlimited usage of the current CPU's Turbo feature, so in the longer term, overclocking would be pointless on the laptop.

The long and the short of it is, don't overclock laptops, unless the OC is fairly mild (maybe 100-200Mhz, at most), and get a custom desktop (not an OEM pre-built!) if you REALLY want to learn to OC.

Edit: And, I would like to apologize, if I seemed like an A-hole. I wasn't really trying for that angle, I think that you took my comments a little too personally. Just making some non-technical observations. Maybe I should have just stuck to the tech side.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It will be VERY interesting, if AMD allows, and even forces, OEMs offering Raven Ridge-based laptops, to ALLOW overclocking, just like the Ryzen desktop CPUs. (Raven Ridge WILL be unlocked, won't it?)

I mean, I'm guessing that some OEMs may lock down the BIOS / UEFI on those laptops, to prevent overclocking, but I'm sure that some of them might get BIOS mods. (There was one for an older MSI semi-gaming laptop with an NVidia chipset IGP, and a dual-core Core2 Celeron CPU, that allowed limited FSB overclocking.)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
But laptops, especially gaming laptops, don't have a lot of thermal headroom, unless they are advertised to allow overclocking. (And generally, OEM rigs that "allow" overclocking, are a LOT more limited in how much you can actually overclock, as compared to a custom rig like I suggested.)

I think you hit a nerve Larry. ;)

Plus, laptop cooling is only limited by a person's imagination:

QApvNqO.jpg

Seriously though, like the others have already stated: Laptops are not built or designed for overclocking. It is a careful balance of power, heat, and performance in a small area. Just dial the game settings back a little bit, and enjoy it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, water-cooling a laptop? Ok, OP, I took back what I said. Piss off your parents (or whomever gave you that laptop), and watercool it, then overclock it TO THE MOON~!

(but you didn't hear it from me... :p )

/s

^
|
+--> means "sarcasm". Don't actually do this, OP, or you might get "grounded for life".

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
RR mobile will be just like any cpu laptops. Locked system w/ average cooling system. Early leaks show mostly U-class APU which target mainstream market. There should be possibility of OCable mobile APU in the future, but I'm afraid it won't come very soon.

If OP really wants to play with OC but hate the size of mid-tower PC, OP may consider ITX system.

TT Core v1 is a very balanced chassis to start with. It accepts decent CPU cooler tower and has sensible GPU space but it has very small overall size so it's pretty much a very portable system.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
HP is IMO probably one of the worse choices in laptops if you want to overclock and not because of thermals.

FWIW when I had my HP CQ45 laptop with a C2D P8400 it was mostly hardware mod for OC'ing except for IDA. IDA (Intel Dynamic Acceleration) was the very first Intel Turbo Boost AFAIK, just wasn't called turbo boost at the time. A small boost would be given to one core while the other was inactive but with an exploit it was possible to get both cores to run at the top core multiplier. Those days I called it Full Time IDA, years later someone else called it MCE.

The original link doesn't seem to exist but still can be found on the wayback machine.
https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:...erclocking-laptop-Core-2-Duo-P8400-Mobile-CPU

Worked like that with permanent hardware mod and ~30% OC for 4 or 5 years before I upgraded to Haswell. CPU never died. The only thermal improvement was to use a better TIM.

Of course much easier these days with unlocked processors available.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I think you hit a nerve Larry. ;)

Plus, laptop cooling is only limited by a person's imagination:

QApvNqO.jpg

Seriously though, like the others have already stated: Laptops are not built or designed for overclocking. It is a careful balance of power, heat, and performance in a small area. Just dial the game settings back a little bit, and enjoy it.

Heh, that must've been the prototype for Asus' water cooled laptop. Look up the GX700. It has a whole water unit you plug into the standard laptop case.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
It will be VERY interesting, if AMD allows, and even forces, OEMs offering Raven Ridge-based laptops, to ALLOW overclocking, just like the Ryzen desktop CPUs. (Raven Ridge WILL be unlocked, won't it?)

I mean, I'm guessing that some OEMs may lock down the BIOS / UEFI on those laptops, to prevent overclocking, but I'm sure that some of them might get BIOS mods. (There was one for an older MSI semi-gaming laptop with an NVidia chipset IGP, and a dual-core Core2 Celeron CPU, that allowed limited FSB overclocking.)
Perhaps some enthusiast laptops will use the B350 chipset. But I wouldn't expect many. Most will likely use the A300 chipset. It's hard to honor a warranty if users can turn their laptop into a pizza oven.