Question Need Help, No Display 1st Build

Mathens

Jan 13, 2021
I recently built my first PC. It has Ryzen 7 5800x, RX 580 (TEMPORARY), MSI Gaming Carbon Wifi MOBO, 16 GB Viper Steel RAM, HX 750W PSU, Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD, and a 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, all housed in a P500a. Having completed the build I am getting no display. The EZ debug LED's all cycle through as expected and turn off, indicating no problem. All of the case fans turn on, as well as the GPU fans and Kraken pump for CPU. The monitor turns on to No Signal, indicating it got some signal the PC was turned on, but is not getting a proper signal. I have checked and re plugged all of the wiring, reseated the ram, and tried all combinations of storage attached and not attached. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Make sure not to use the video output on your motherboard as it won't work with your current processor. As @MalVeauX states above, only use the ports on your video card.

Also, make sure your CPU water pump is plugged into the water pump fan header and not the CPU fan header (there are separate headers for each).

If you haven't already done it, try resetting the CMOS memory per page 39 in the user manual. If you don't have a jumper, you can use a screwdriver to short the pins. It goes without saying that you should make sure the system IS NOT powered up when you reset CMOS. Doing it on a powered up system can damage the motherboard.

1610645569021.png

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I have tried all the outputs, and I have reset the CMOS. I am going to try a different Pci slot in case the main one has a problem.

Another question. Is the box marked that your motherboard is out-of-box compatible with Ryzen 5000? If not, it may need a BIOS upgrade to recognize the CPU as that board was released well before the Ryzen 5000 CPUs were.

Ryzen 5000 support requires a BIOS with AGESA 1.0.8.0 or above.

Last edited:

Mathens

Jan 13, 2021
I forgot to mentiom that I did a flashback yesterday with new BIOS version. I assume this worked okay since it flashed for about 4 minutes, then stopped. The CPU EZ debug light is not coming on either, so I think the flash worked.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Probably a stupid question, but have you tested the GPU in another system to ensure it is working? Additionally, if you have access to another monitor as well as another HDMI cable to try with it, swap them out.

You do have the all the power cables required hooked up to the GPU?

Last edited:

Mathens

Jan 13, 2021
I unfortunately don't have another system to test the GPU in. I have tried a different monitor, and I have triple checked all the cables are connected, especially to the GPU.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I think at this point you are at a standstill until you can check the GPU. The problem could be either the GPU or the motherboard. If you happen to have a two pin piezo speaker, you can hook that up to see if the system is giving you beep codes.

Another question - the P500A allows a vertical GPU mount. Do you have the GPU installed directly in the motherboard PCIe slot, or is it installed vertically in the case with a riser card/cable to the motherboard PCIe slot? If you have it installed in the case and not in the motherboard, try plugging it directly into the motherboard while troubleshooting. Risers can be a major pain to deal with.

Since you've built your first system, you'll inevitably do this again in the future so a piece of free advice.

When first assembling a new system, to save yourself a lot of misery you need to test your hardware before installing it in the case. Get a piece of cardboard large enough to set the motherboard on. Place the board on it, install the CPU/heatsink, a single DRAM module, and GPU (if your CPU doesn't have onboard graphics). Hook up all the power supply cables to the motherboard/GPU as required , hook up the video cable to the monitor, then use a screwdriver to short the power switch pins to start the system. If the hardware is good, you should at least see a BIOS boot screen (with a keyboard/mouse plugged in, you should be able to access the BIOS screens).

The advantage of doing it this way is so you absolutely know your hardware works before installing it in the case. That way, if it doesn't work when installed you know the issue is probably mounting-related (such as a stray motherboard mounting stud causing a grounding issue in the case, etc).

Reactions: undertaker101

Mathens

Jan 13, 2021
Thanks for the info. I was going to install out of the case, but was worried about how to hook up the AIO outside the case. In the future I will get a cheap air cooler for the purpose of pre build testing, which I will do for sure. Finally, I do have the GPU connected directly to the motherboard.

Mathens

Jan 13, 2021
I had the RAM in slots 2 and 4, as the manual indicates. As troubleshooting, I have tried 1 stick at a time, in every slot. It unfortunately still did not work.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
It sounds like either a problematic GPU or motherboard. You could also try different RAM, to see if that helps. You could also try a BIOS flashback again...maybe there is a newer BIOS version out now to try.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
It sounds like either a problematic GPU or motherboard. You could also try different RAM, to see if that helps. You could also try a BIOS flashback again...maybe there is a newer BIOS version out now to try.

Or, if you are running the most recent BIOS, flash back to the one prior to that.