Need help identifying this monster heatsink

bavery

Feb 12, 2014
I recently upgraded my aging core2 duo system to a shiny new i7 4470K. This LGA 775 heatsink worked great on my old system and I would like to use it with the new system if possible, but of course I would need new mounting hardware. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any markings on it to indicate the brand/manufacturer. The top heatsink is a fairly standard setup with a small block with heatpipes, so I expect if all else fails I could probably just uses some sort of generic mounting bracket. The smaller heatsink, though, is fairly unique and I can't find anything quite like this browsing the net comparing it to what is currently available. It has a fairly custom backplate that holds the smaller heatsink against the underside of the CPU socket. I don't think there would be any way to rig this to fit the new LGA 1150 socket, so I was hoping to track down the manufacturer to see if they have an LGA 1150 backplate available for this heatsink. Any help with the identification would be greatly appreciated!

12481920265_80176dd50d.jpg

12482048913_184e797aed.jpg

bavery

Feb 12, 2014
Wow, that was quick! Awesome, yes googling Thermalright IFX-14 looks like that is exactly what I have. Thanks so much for the quick identification. Now to see if they have anything available to fit this to a LGA 1150...

bavery

Feb 12, 2014
Thanks. Yeah, I've got an email in to TR support. I figured getting the underside heatsink working would be a long-shot, but even just being able to get the main heatsink working on the new board would be a huge step up from the stock intel heatsink. I've been waiting to dig into the overclocking settings until I get some decent cooling, so am a bit impatient to get this working. :sneaky:

I did find some mention elsewhere of a TR bolt-through kit that while not advertised as compatible with the IFX-14, apparently does work. Unfortunately those mentions I found don't indicate which TR part number they are referring to for the kit, but chances are it's probably that vx btk 2...

Anyway, I'm sure TR support will be able to confirm this, or to point me in the right direction at least.

bavery

Feb 12, 2014
The 1156 kit looks a little more like a direct replacement for the type of bracket that came with it originally. The VX BTK II looks like maybe a little overkill. Probably more of a universal kit with extra parts not needed for every application? Anyway, I think this should do for mounting the main heatsink at least. Thanks for all the help guys.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I was thinking about that one because I used it myself but I couldn't even find it on their website...

But seems the VX will work too...which makes sense because both the VX and s1156 kit support TR Ultra coolers.

I had been interested in that TR IFX-14 because of the auxiliary heatpipe for the back of the motherboard. [I THINK that was its application, anyway.] For that reason, I'd often wondered how you would mod any heatpipe cooler to perform a similar function -- in spades or on steroids. It would also require a case-mod you might not like, unless the cooling enhancement were significant.

For instance, suppose you had enough micronized diamond-powder to mix with non-conductive thermal epoxy, and applied it in a patch under the processor on the back of the motherboard? OF course, you'd want it to be perfectly flat, but that would eliminate the problem of contact with live solder points and short circuits. You would then have to rig a bolt mechanism to secure the main heatpipe cooler and the one you chose to use for this other purpose.

Sure . . . I dream up lots of crazy ideas and nonsense. It's fun. :D

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Amazon has the VX BTK II bolt through kit listed, and one of the reviews does claim it worked just fine for the guy's IFX-14. And.... ordered! Gotta love Amazon Prime. :)

Right on! I've always liked Thermalright because you can buy a heatsink that will actually last you longer than your rig. I used a bolt-on kit to take a TRUE from 775 to 1366, and it worked great.