Need help from someone with Nvidia and 120hz.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
In BF3 can you do a little test for me, and please be honest. Have your monitor on 120hz. Now tell me how you perceive the smoothness with a frame cap set at 60fps, 75fps, 85fps, and 120fps with these settings:

1920x1080
Refresh Rate 120
FOV 85
Motion Blurr Off
Textures: Medium
Shadows: Low
Effects: Low
Mesh: Ultra
Terrain: Low
Terrain Decoration: Low
AA: Off
Post AA: Off
AF: 16x
AO: Off

I'm trying to see if what I see on my 7970 is due to the frametime issues raised lately, or something to do with my 120hz monitor at lower FPS's. Before anyone asks I run the game like that because I'm trying to keep my fps locked at frame limit at all times. 85fps is the number I start seeing smooth gameplay. Lower is bad. So, if someone is bored and wants to help me investigate let me know.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
60 fps on a 120hz does not feel smooth at all. I found that out 2 years ago when I first got my asus vg36h and 580. I remember thinking the same exact thing. I also have a similar threshold of around 90 fps. After that I can tell it's smoother at 120 but not as drastic as going from 60 to 90.

Istead of changing the frequency of your monitor, you can actually just alt-tab out a game and change the frame limit from within afterburner just to find out where your limit of percievability is. I realize this isn't showing the difference between 60hz and 120 hz but the difference of 60 fps and 120fps on a 120hz screen. Ofcourse that only works if you are pushing that many frames.

Last edited:

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Ugh, I had a nice elaborate post but I'm bad at life so it's gone with the wind.

A 120Hz monitor isn't going to create any jittering displaying lower speed content. You can confirm this yourself by setting the actual refresh rate to 60/75/85/120 and letting the framerate go wild.

Depending on how long you have had the monitor, and how susceptible your eyes are to different refresh rates, you may be losing the tolerance you built up when using a slower monitor. My personal cutoff is around 80Hz-100Hz. Anything less is blatantly uncomfortable, and it still feels "off" until over 100.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Ugh, I had a nice elaborate post but I'm bad at life so it's gone with the wind.

A 120Hz monitor isn't going to create any jittering displaying lower speed content. You can confirm this yourself by setting the actual refresh rate to 60/75/85/120 and letting the framerate go wild.

Depending on how long you have had the monitor, and how susceptible your eyes are to different refresh rates, you may be losing the tolerance you built up when using a slower monitor. My personal cutoff is around 80Hz-100Hz. Anything less is blatantly uncomfortable, and it still feels "off" until over 100.

I kinda think this might be the case. It's weird to me though because in Far Cry 3 60fps feels great on the 120hz monitor, but in BF3 it's like a slideshow to me. That's part of the reason why I'm wondering if I'm actually seeing the dreaded frametime issue that's become so talked about recently.

Other games that are smooth 60fps and lower are Crysis 1 & 2, Skyrim, Arma 2, and Batman Arkham City. When I run those games maxed and get lower framerates it doesn't do what BF3 does. BF3 becomes unplayable for some reason, at least when setting a frame limit under 80fps on a 120hz monitor.