Need help from parents with teenage kids

Papagayo

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2003
Anyone here use software to monitor computer usage of their kids?

I've heard of Netnanny, but not sure how reliable it is..

Can anyone recommend a good software that will block certain sites, monitor their activities?

Thanks in advance..

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Unless your kid is fvcking retarded, they can get around it. I know I did. ;) There is no substitute for parental supervision.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
they make web filters, but they are easy to get around. I am not a parent, but I think that if did a good job you have nothing to worry about.

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
My parent's never bothered, even if they did. It's not that hard to crack through most defenses.

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
what i would do, is get something that will let you spy on your kids from a remote computer, I did that to my little sister to control the mouse and play a joke on her. She was pre-teen and thought it was a ghost!

In any case I think theres VNP or something along those lines, that will allow you to just "check in" on them from time to time

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
If I could count all the times I was caught with pron in my history and cookies.....heh

I never had restrictions on what I could/could not view on the internet. When I was caught with pron, I was lectured, then I did it again, and I was lectured again, and so on. Life moved on, and everybody is doing great these days.

What exactly are you trying to keep your kids from viewing? If they arent exposed to it in this way, they'll find another way.

On another note, I suppose the risks of the internet have changed for youths comparing my childhood to today's children. When I was a young teenager, there werent many things on the internet to be worried about. Today, meeting people online is extremely popular among teenagers, and they can be easily taken advantage of. If thats what you're worried about, I dont think you should purchase software to do a job that you as a parent should be doing; which is to parent your kids and teach them right from wrong. If you are worried about pron, thats just ridiculous IMO.

Tifababy

Feb 5, 2001
My parents always kept the computer in the family room. That way it was easy to watch what we were doing...granted this was 12-14 years ago and we were on a 9600 baud modem.

JDMnAR1

Lifer
May 12, 2003
The most effective tool I have found for preventing improper internet usage thus far is called "dial-up".

Edit: As far as logging goes, check out iOpus STARR.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Beavis
Use a Router and block services such as aim

And also get a router that does logging. I know my old (I can't remember the brand name) router had the ability of emailing me logs of activity every day, week, etc.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: Beavis
Use a Router and block services such as aim

And also get a router that does logging. I know my old (I can't remember the brand name) router had the ability of emailing me logs of activity every day, week, etc.

Good choices. If you are THAT paranoid, install a keylogger or something and trace their movements. Programs that actively police usage are very faulty and don't always do their jobs.

Don't let them on the internet if you can't trust them. Simple as that. Make sure the computer is in a room where people frequently visit, such as the family room or something. Make sure the monitor is turned in a way where the whole world can see it, and use safety settings to the max.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
if viruses pop up on the computer, punish them. otherwise, they aren't doing anything bad ;)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
<<<<Father of 2. 5 and 12
Tells kids thats it no more computer time or you can only go to the sites I have put in your favorites for your own good. Please dont not surf anywhere else. Each of my boys have thier own. Granded they arnt much and look like a frankenstien build but they dont care because its thiers and happy to have them.
Kids say ok Dad and turn off computer if thats what I had asked. No fussing, no smart ass coments, called mutal respect for one another and what I tought and believe heavily in.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Just setup one system in a common area that they can go online with so that you can monitor what they're doing on it.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Zonealarm security suite has a parental control program built in that is pretty effective at keeping my 13 year old daughter off sites like Myspace etc & my router also has a logging feature that I use to check up & block some sites, (however she's not exactly a computer wiz & network security is a big part of my business so I'm relatively tough to fool) .. plus she has a locked down limited user account on her computer.

I suggest trying Zonealarm because it combines decent antivirus/spyware protection with firewall & perantal control in one package, it won't allow itself to be shut down without an admin password & is very effective at filtering objectionable websites.. I tested several different programs & found it to be the most effective overall, if not the easiest to configure, that was Panda Internet security which is also worth a try.

Tommouse

Feb 29, 2004
Log everything on the router.

But I would suggest computer in an open room, viewable to all.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Put the computer in the middle of the kitchen or living room. Prohibit them from going behind closed doors with it.