Need help finding "FUN" tank/car battle games for PC

May 30, 2007
Hello all. As I grow older I find myself less and less interested in games like Crysis and anything requiring conentration and dedication. I am however rediscovering the joy of old school games from the days when they were pure fun ( Try all you want to convince me but most games today are far from pure fun as you have waaaaaaaay too many fn functions in the game to have a true "Fun factor" ).

I'm looking for PC games that adhere to the following rules :

Unrealistic
Simple controlls
Mediocre graphics
Fun gameplay

So far I find myself playing :

Star Wars : Episode 1 Racer
Herzog Zwei ( Courtesy of a genny emu : )
Armed and Dangerous
Ratchet and Clank series ( Courtesy of PS2 emu : )
Vigilante 8 & 2nd Offense ( Courtesy of PS1 emu : )
Battle Tanx : Global Assault ( Courtesy of PS1 emu : )

==========================================================

Games we've found so far :

Interstate 76'

Recoil

Re-Volt

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Interstate 76.
If you can stomach the graphics...
:)

Twisted Metal 2 has always been my favorite from the genre.

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
The Crash Bandicoot racing games were pretty fun. I don't know if they were released on PC, but since you don't seem to mind using emulators might want to give them a try.

May 30, 2007
Originally posted by: Soundmanred
Interstate 76.
If you can stomach the graphics...
:)

Twisted Metal 2 has always been my favorite from the genre.

Looks like they also made an " Interstate 82' " with slightly better GFX, I'll prob try to locate both on Amazon though :)

---

Reason I'm trying to find them on PC is to get away from having to DL the .iso, pray the emu supports it and so it'll have built in config support for PC K/B's and pads.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Skip Interstate '82. It grossly dumbed down I'76 even though it has slightly better gfx. There's a, "I'76 Gold" patch/expansion floating around that updates the game to support higher rez textures, higher resolutions, d3d and glide.

Interstate '76 is still IMO the epitome of vehicle combat games.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
How about this, you control a tank that can be a normal tank and can also be a hovertank/submarine/boat as well which has rapidfire laser guns with unlimited ammo and even rapiderfire laser guns with limited ammo and the main gun can be one of about 8 things including a mortar, sonic cannon, electric gun, laser, homing missle and a nuke all easily switchable with the mousewheel or the number keys on the keyboard.

This games called "Recoil" go torrent it because it was rare in shops when i bought it back in the late 90's early 2000's.

Wiki about recoil

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Raduque
Skip Interstate '82. It grossly dumbed down I'76 even though it has slightly better gfx. There's a, "I'76 Gold" patch/expansion floating around that updates the game to support higher rez textures, higher resolutions, d3d and glide.

Yup, that's why I didn't even mention I'82. :)
I didn't like it AT ALL.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Return Fire
Video

its a ps1 game, but you listed other console games, so i figured i'd add this one, its a great game especially with multiplay

There is also return fire 2 for PC
Return Fire 2

I remember beta testing it, but it didn't get much popularity but it was awesome over lan & online w/a lot of people.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
We definitely need a new Twisted Metal or Vigilante 8 on today's engines/physics, it would be absolutely mind blowing, I used to play Twisted Metal 2 and 3 a LOT, and I preferred the original Vigilante 8 over 2nd Offense, there was also Star Wars: Demolition, using the same engine than the one in 2nd Offense, and the game-play principles are the exact same, but set in the Star Wars universe.

JJ650

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Battlezone (Activision circa '96 or '97) was an absolute blast. It was a different (hovering tanks) from the other FPS's games in that time frame. The maps were fun, and the different types of tanks as well. You could go somewhat vertical with the tanks and scale very steep terrain or do some crazy jumps to cartwheel over targets and nail vitims from above. The RTS part was a fun aspect as well that rolled the FPS/RTS into one game type very well.

There were a few different types of tanks:

Scout - little zippy guys. Not my punch but could shoot 'n' scoot
Missle tanks - lock on fire from a distance. Fire and forget
Bombers (my favorite) - lumbering, armored things. Could dish out some real heavy hits. Bomber wars were my favorite type.
Battle - melee type. Decent armor, speed and fairly deadly.
Walkers - larger armored, walking giats that could hit hard and take a beating

You could snipe players out of the tanks and commandeer them if you wanted. Various powerups strewn across maps (different weapon types if you could support them or double up on what you had if supported). Collision damage, splash damage with certain weapons. Deployable beacons for spying or a good antimissle defense....

It was just a fun game and didn't need any sort of harware grahics accelerators but supported the feature.

I need to find this and fire it up. I killed weeks and my GPA playing this.

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
JJ just took the words out of my mouth. Only thing is, it doesn't fully qualify as mediocre graphics. They were very good for the time, and there are updated textures, and the sounds and atmospheres just generally still make it feel good.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Raduque

i;82 has much better graphics, 76 is 100 times more fun. The Gold patch was cool when it came out, but today the "hi-resolution" of 800x600 it gives sucks. I bought I'76 and would LOOOOOOVE a remake that stayed true to the gameplay, music of the original just had dx 9 graphics. Probably one of the best games I've ever played.

OP did say simple controls, I found I'76 to have quite a few controls and not really easy to jump in and play.

Twisted Metal is as simple as you can get, fast and furious action too. The PC port wasn't half bad.