NEED HELP FAST - CPU Power Connector

ecosvaldo

May 24, 2005
This past Tuesday, my parts came in and started to build my new computer:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz w/ D0 stepping Processor
Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound
EVGA X58 3-Way SLI Motherboard (E758-A1)
(2) OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 Low Voltage (OCZ3G1600LV6GK) Memory
Cooler Master HAF 922 Computer Case
CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W Power Supply
Thermalright TRUE Black 120 Rev.C CPU Cooler w/ (2) Scythe 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fans
XFX Radeon HD 4890 1GB Video Card (HD-489A-ZDEC)
LG Black 8X BD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Reader & DVD±R Burner
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit

When it came time to plug in the cable for the CPU Power Connector, for some reason it would not fit in (I did not try forcing it in BTW). I took a look at the Corsair box and read that it supports ATX12V and EPS12V, but the connectors on the cable look different. Here's a picture of the connection on the motherboard:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albu...herboard-connector.jpg

And here's what the cable connections on the Corsair CMPSU-850HX Power Supply look like:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albu...do/cable-connector.jpg

I've also seen many computer rigs from people with the same motherboard and power supply. How were they able to fit the cable into the connector?

In the picture above, the cable has 2 square pins and the other 6 have two shaved corners. On the motherboard, there's 4 square pins and 4 with two shaved corners. If the power supply does support EPS12V, why are the connections on the cable different than what's shown on the motherboard? I don't know ... does that make any sense at all?

Also, all the cables on the power supply that are PCI-E have "PCI-E" written on them. This one does not have any writing at all.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
That's just an odd PCIe 8 pin, I think. Note the "bridge" between the bottom right two pins. See if there is another 8-pin?