Need help deciding on site for online photo album

Satyrist

Dec 11, 2000
I'm looking at trying to decide how to host a good number of family photos, and I know of a few different options-

-flickr
-picasa
-photobucket
-hosting a domain, and setting up an album by hand with coppermine or similar software.

Which of the above is probably going to be the most efficient manner of doing so?

I have a couple of hosts that I'll likely decide on if I was going to have a domain hosted, but which of the other three would work best?

Cost isn't necessarily a deciding factor here, reliability is.

Thanks

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
Personally I would go the domain route.

You may also want to consider pbase.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Depends on how much bandwidth I'm expecting to be used... If I'm just putting them online for friends and family to see, then I would go the domain route. If I'm going to be linking them for 1000's of hits from ATOT or something, then it's on a free photo album.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Also consider what you want to do. I love flickr. But it does not let itself to sharing and creating albums.... it gets very messy when you can only do one "folder nesting" but it's great to share "what I've done lately" to friends/family. It's essentially a photoblog. I keep tabs w/ my photogenic family this way.

If you host it yourself, I'd go w/ gallery. Coppermine was alright, but I found gallery to have more potential. The big reason I stopped this route because I wanted to host all full images for cheap, flickr let me. And I was too lazy to keep the software up to date.