Need help connecting wired network to wireless network

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
I'm in the process of setting up a small home network consisting of a desktop system and a laptop. The laptop is working great; I can connect wirelessly throughout the house without a problem. However, I only have internet access on the laptop. Today I went out and bought a switch, a D-Link DSS-5+, and attempted to connect that to the wireless router. Unforunately, that failed. I think it may have something to do with the cables used because my initial problems setting up the wirless network were solved when I substituted the cable that came with my cable modem for the ones that came with the Dell computer. Do I need to purchase another cable to connect the router to the switch, perhaps a crossover cable? Or is it possibly something else? Basically, all I've tried so far is linking the router and the switch with a cable and then the switch and the NIC with another cable. Any help is appreciated.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Read that before I posted, since I'm a newbie I'm not sure whether this is or isn't my problem, so I'm just looking for some more help.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999

Laptop Wireless through what?

How you are connected to the Internet.

Most Wireless Routers has 3 regular ports, what the switch is for?

Normal connection is:

Modem to Router WAN port.

Desktop to Router regular port with Straight CAT5.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
It's a Dell True Mobile 1170 Base Station. Documentation here I've tried connecting the LAN port to the desktop with a straight cable with no luck, and the manual makes no mention of being able to connect straight to a desktop, only to a switch or a hub. Since switching cables made a difference when setting up the router, I thought it might make a difference here.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The Dell manual is kind of ?funny?; it made for newbies but it lacks certain info. It does not mention the type of the wired output port.

If you have only one wired computer you probably don?t even need a Hub/Switch.

However you already got one.

Your D-Link is an Auto-Senses Cable Type (Auto-MDI), which means it is automatically configuring the ports to the cables. So it does not matter which cables you are using.

If you connected the Router port to the D-Link, and the D-link to your desktop, and it does not work, either a cable is bad, or your desktop?s network setting is wrong.