Need help connecting two PCs together via ethernet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Stg-Flame, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Stg-Flame

Stg-Flame Golden Member

I built a new computer recently and I've tried to connect them with an Ethernet cable, but when I turn on computer discovery, I cannot find either computer. However, when I looked at the networks with my laptop I saw both computers. I was also able to transfer files using my laptop but the transfer speed was so low, I was unable to move anything over 1GB.

Is there a simple guide to connecting two computers using an Ethernet? Also, what are the inherent risks with turning on file discovery and file sharing on a private network? I just need to move my music and some documents over to my new computer, but the total file size exceeds 30GB.

2. Fardringle

Fardringle Diamond Member

Are the computers connected directly to each other with just an ethernet cable, or do you have a router/switch between them?

3. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

Just connecting two computer with a wire does not provide connection as is.

Since you mentioned a Wireless Laptop you probably have some sort of a Network please describe in details what you have, (Internet connection, Wireless Router, switch etc.) and how it us connecting together.

:cool:

4. Cabletek

Cabletek Member

IF you are wiring computer A to computer B with no hardware inbetween you need a Ethernet cross over cable, otherwise if you are using a switch/hub/router, a standard Ethernet patch cable will do.

http://www.cat-5-cable-company.com/faq-difference-between-patch-crossover.html

Beyond that the two computers will have no DHCP server so you will have to assign them both a manual static IP address unless you are using a different protocol set such as IPX. Or at least I don't remember ever having to assign a static address when playing starcraft at LAN's back in the day.

5. Stg-Flame

Stg-Flame Golden Member

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I posted that while on location today (oil field) and I just now got home since we had a short day.

Anyways, my initial test was just Computer A and Computer B connected with a single ethernet cable which did absolutely nothing. I did, however, go into my Network and Sharing options and enable File Sharing and Discovery on my cable Internet. Computer A is connected to my wireless router via ethernet cable, but Computer B upstairs was running wirelessly - I could see Computer A with Computer B, but I couldn't do anything as it said it was password protected (I forgot to mention that initially). I then looked with my laptop and I could see both A and B as well as move files between them - this, however, took over two hours to move 800MB; so moving my 30+GB music folder was out of the question.

Is transferring 30+GB via file sharing a feasible task, or would it be much easier to just transfer the files via external HDD?

Thanks for the quick responses.

6. mango123

mango123 Senior member

you want an ad-hoc network, search it.
    you don't need a router or switch.

7. JackMDS

JackMDS Super Moderator<BR>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

To get decent transfer you need both computer connecting with wire.

Not one to the other, both have to be plugged into the Router.

:cool:

8. Stg-Flame

Stg-Flame Golden Member

Thanks for the help. Now I feel like a dunce for not thinking of this...

9. mammador

mammador Platinum Member

both machines need a static IP address (192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2)

You then need to assign common folders between them, and access them via Start-Run in the bottom left-hand corner.

It's been a while since I did it, but these are most of the basic steps. A switch is not required, and by definition is only required for multiple nodes to have unique lines (or collision domains to use the proper term). In simple peer-to-peering, a switch is not needed.

10. Gryz

Gryz Golden Member

That was true long time ago.
    Since the introduction of FastEthernet, ethernet interfaces will figure out what wire-pairs to use by themselves. It's a called Auto-MDIX. It's been around for 15 years. The chance you find two current PCs or laptops that can't do auto-detect is almost zero.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable#Automatic_crossover