need help choosing video card

easonator

Jun 24, 2008
Hi, I'm planning to put together a budget gaming rig. I already picked out the hardware I need from newegg.com and put them on my wish list. However, I'm stuck with what video card I should get. I have a few questions about video cards.

Is 1 uber powerful video card better than 2 mainstream video cards powered by SLI or crossfire?

I wanna play games like AoE 3, Company of Heroes, Empire Earth 2, Starcraft 2 (when it comes out), Red Alert 3 (when it comes out), Crysis, Supreme Commander, and maybe a few others I can't think of right now. I wanna play all those games with maxed out graphics except for Crysis and Supreme Commander. I'm mainly into RTS games for the pc and could almost careless with FPS games. I only wanna get Crysis and Supreme Commander for benchmarking.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Originally posted by: easonator
Originally posted by: Jesusthewererabbit
What resolution will you be playing at?

Well I'm probably gonna be playing on my small 19 inch HDTV.

Soo...

19" doesn't really translate into resolution. If you don't know the resolution, could you give us the make/model of the TV?

Is 1 uber powerful video card better than 2 mainstream video cards powered by SLI or crossfire?

To answer that, it all rests on the resolution. Chances are 99% sure you won't need a GPU like a GTX280 or SLI/Crossfire solutions. In fact I wouldn't be looking at anymore than a 4850 or GTX 260 just because it would be highly unlikely your 19" TV would exceed 1600X1200 in resolution size.

easonator

Jun 24, 2008
Originally posted by: Quiksilver

Well I'm probably gonna be playing on my small 19 inch HDTV.

Soo...

19" doesn't really translate into resolution. If you don't know the resolution, could you give us the make/model of the TV?

To answer that, it all rests on the resolution. Chances are 99% sure you won't need a GPU like a GTX280 or SLI/Crossfire solutions. In fact I wouldn't be looking at anymore than a 4850 or GTX 260 just because it would be highly unlikely your 19" TV would exceed 1600X1200 in resolution size.

lol I guess the highest resolutions you can get, well at least ideal resolutions on a 19 inch monitor. I haven't been gaming on a pc in 4 years. I have a polaroid HDTV. Ok, I did some research and my 19 inch polaroid supports 1440 x 900 pixels.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Well, the only 19" Polaroid TV's I can find in a quick search were all 1440X900 in resolution; so either choice I mentioned previously would be more than enough.

:p my research got confirmed with your edit.

easonator

Jun 24, 2008
Well, the only 19" Polaroid TV's I can find in a quick search were all 1440X900 in resolution; so either choice I mentioned previously would be more than enough.

lol ok then. So what is sli/crossfire used for then? When should you use it?

Do you have any suggestions on a good gpu with a good price for the performance you get out of it?

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005

Do you have any suggestions on a good gpu with a good price for the performance you get out of it?

SLI/Crossfire is basically for those who have to have bleeding edge performance; basically for resolutions greater than (or at) 1920X1200.

If your not afraid of overclocking your card I'd suggest this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814121266

Otherwise....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814129112

easonator

Jun 24, 2008

SLI/Crossfire is basically for those who have to have bleeding edge performance; basically for resolutions greater than (or at) 1920X1200.

If your not afraid of overclocking your card I'd suggest this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814121266

Otherwise....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814129112

Oh ok so basically you don't need sli/crossfire if you aren't playing in high resolutions.

I've never overclocked before. How much hotter does it get inside there? I'm willing to do it, but do I need anything else to keep the temps cool?