Need help choosing supplements for workout

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006
I've started working out again, and I want to have the best possible results (of course). Anyway, I just need an idea on what to start out with such as protein powders, vitamins, Creatine, etc..?

I'm doing this to get in better shape overall, but really, the main goal is to have a better looking physique by the time of my wedding (September) which is extremely doable, and I just want the extra help where possible. I don't know if weight, height or anything really matters when it comes to supplements, but here they are anyway: 5'7", 176 lbs, 23 years old.

I'd ideally like to come down in weight about 10 pounds or so and then replace that with muscle. Currently, I have somewhat of a doughy/chunky look that I'd love to get rid of. The lowest I've ever weighed was 155 from about 2004-2010 without any variation really. Then I met the girl, we got comfortable, and we both gained. :p

So please can you just recommend anything to get me started, and then after so long, maybe recommend me a vitamin stack or something of that sort to help me just become healthier overall?

Thank you! :D

EDIT:

Also, price does matter seeing as how most of my money shall be going towards a wedding so please keep that in consideration.

I'm not sure about Creatine, but I remember taking it for a short stint during high school, and I don't know if it was beneficial to me or not. I don't believe I was working out enough at the time to be taking it either. (Half assed attempt really)

Last edited:

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
Honestly, I'd say just make sure you eat your fruits and veggies and maybe supplement with whey protein. Take a multi and fish oil, call it a day.

Diet and exercise are going to be more effective than any sort of supplement. Supplements will help you out after you've got those in check.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Honestly, I'd say just make sure you eat your fruits and veggies and maybe supplement with whey protein. Take a multi and fish oil, call it a day.

Diet and exercise are going to be more effective than any sort of supplement. Supplements will help you out after you've got those in check.

I'd even go further and say you don't need any supplements to lose that goal weight by September. Just control your diet.

And read the fat-loss sticky.

Malfeas

Apr 27, 2005
Eat fruit , vegetables, and meat. Drink a cup of coffee before you workout if you need the boost. For lunch and dinner try to make half of your plate be vegetables/salad with some meat on the side. There is no need for multivitamins or protein supplements if you eat decent meals. Try to eat fish three times a week.

dlock13

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2006

Of course. This will mostly be for help, that's it.

I'd even go further and say you don't need any supplements to lose that goal weight by September. Just control your diet.

And read the fat-loss sticky.
I'll be reading the sticky in a couple of minutes here to get a better idea.

Eat fruit , vegetables, and meat. Drink a cup of coffee before you workout if you need the boost. For lunch and dinner try to make half of your plate be vegetables/salad with some meat on the side. There is no need for multivitamins or protein supplements if you eat decent meals. Try to eat fish three times a week.

I'll definitely try and control my diet better. I realize there isn't a need, but it's still something I want to do just so I can get the most help I can.

Also, I was looking into protein bars, but there are so many that are quite overpriced. I figured I could make my own for cheaper and saw a bunch of different recipes. Anyone recommend a good tasting whey protein powder for making those?

Apr 17, 2003
I take creatine, 100% Whey Isolate, and fish oil.

Creatine is good is good if you want to bulk up a little. If you just want to get toned, then it's really not necessary. Whey is good regardless because it helps muscle recovery.

If you are going to take creatine, make sure to drink a lot of water because it's efficency is greatly stunted if you are not properly hydrated. Also, there is a lot of "rumors" about not taking creatine w/ acidic juices. I for one have not seen any studies that show lesser efficacy when taken w/ acidic juices. I take 5 grams a days mixed with just about anything I can find. I add it to a protein shake whenever possible.

Creatine is super cheap. Fish oil is $6 for a huge container at costco that will last you forever.

Whey ranges in price. I got no-isolate whey from vitaminshop for $55 for TWO 5 pound tubs (it will last forever because I only take 5 scoops a week). However, I bought some premium ON Whey that is on sale at costco. $48 for 55 servings but it tastes pretty good, mixes wells, and has 30 g / serving w/ only 110 calories.

Honestly, I wouldn't work all that much over premium vs. cheap stuff...just make sure whatever you buy is not loaded w/ carbs and fat.

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
My advice is to forget about supplements. They spend millions on advertising to make you believe otherwise, but you don't need them. Your main focus should be on #1 your diet #2 implementing a good workout routine.

If you really get on point with those 2 things starting this month, I'd say you could easily lose 10 pounds in only a couple months. Do it til Sep and you'll be in the best shape of your life by the time your wedding roles around. :) If this is gonna work, I'd get your fiance on board as well with an eating and exercise plan as I'm sure she wants to look her best for the wedding too. Good luck!

Sep 29, 2004

I'd say this also.

Replace junk food with fruits and vegetables.

Start counting calories.

Are you a amember of a gym or do you have budget to join a gym? I'd also recomend running for cardio. It's good for the heart ;-)

Last edited:

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
I'd say this also.

Replace junk food with fruits and vegetables.

Start counting calories.

Are you a amember of a gym or do you have budget to join a gym? I'd also recomend running for cardio. It's good for the heart ;-)

Agreed. As has been mentioned, your time and money would be better spent on these factors.

Apr 17, 2003
Supplements are not meant to replace a good diet...they are meant to you know, supplement it. With that said, what is the draw back of incorporating whey into a good diet? Is there any real doubt that protein assists in muscle recovery and muscle growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.