need help choosing new projector, extended warranty

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I bought a $300 800x600 DLP projector a few years back, Optoma brand. The bulb went out after about 9 months, and luckily this was covered under the 1 year warranty. After another couple of years, I got white dots all over the screen from a failing DLP chip. Obviously, I'm past the warranty, and Optoma told me it would cost just over $500 to have it repaired. I'd rather spend that on a new projector.

My big question is regarding an extended warranty. A 3 year warranty would have covered the "dreaded white spot syndrome" that popped up, but not the failing bulb issue.

3 questions:

1) Does anyone offer a GOOD extended warranty that covers bulbs? Most that I've seen treat them as "consumables" - consumables that can often cost 80% of the original cost of the unit to replace. I'd love to go with LED, but they seem too dim at present. (200 or 300 lumen, instead of 3,000)

2) Does any projector company offer a longer standard warranty? My old one came with 1 year parts and labor, including the bulb. Now I'm seeing more being sold that only have 90 days on the bulb.

3) What projector company offers very reasonable prices for replacement bulbs?

I'll probably get an LCD projector instead of DLP, because so many folks seem to have this white spot syndrome after 2-4 years on their DLP projectors. I'd like to get an LCOS projector, but it looks like that tech will take another few years to come down in price. One thing that I KNOW is that I won't be buying Optoma again. I only had about 800 hours on the bulb when I had to send the unit in for replacing. (red light/overheat issue, evidently) They sent me a unit with over 3,000 hours on the bulb as a replacement.

With your help, I'd like to avoid some of the problems that we had with our first projector. This $400-$600 will probably be our biggest single entertainment expenditure over the next few years. Thanks!

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
you might not like the picture from a LCD or LCOS projector if you are used to DLP, as image from DLP is known to have better "pop". seriously, $400-600 is not a lot of money for a projector, some people spent more for a PC monitor. For me, I'd just buy another DLP projector and forget about the warranty, and enjoy it for the next 2-4yrs.

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=V11H475020&BV_UseBVCookie=yes

2800 Lumens, 2 year warranty, free shipping, And I think they offer an extended warranty.

I have had my epson PJ for over 4 years so far with no problems at all other then needing one bulb which only cost me $199. Epson is the world leader in PJ manufacturing.

Oh yeah, there is an estimated 5000 hr bulb life with this projector I believe too.

If you want to save even more money you can get this one, a model before the hd710:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V11H331020-N

Its $439 shipped, 2500 lumens, 5000 lamp life, sure its a refurb BUT it comes with the standard warranty as if new.

Last edited:

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Hey, those refurbished Epson projectors look like exactly what I've needed! I especially like the 2 year warranties, and the fact that the replacement bulbs are $150 or less for the most part.

Thanks so much!

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Can't go wrong with a Panasonic AE4000 if you are looking for a serious upgrade.