Need help choosing low end video card!!!

Gabdala

Jun 18, 2001
I'm looking for a new video card. I currently have a ati rage fury 32mb. But now i want to upgrade, but i don't really want to spend to much money because i'm not a gamer, but i'd like to play a couple of games here and there. I was looking for a card that costs under $60. I know thats not a lot but its more than enough for me. How is the 3d prophet kyro II? Is that any good. I'm running XP on a 1.4 tbird. Thanks for all the help.

novice

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2000
Best option in your price range: Visiontek Geforce 2 GTS-V from newegg. Also referred to as Xtasy 5632. $43 + $9 shipping. Will be a very good upgrade from your ATI Rage Fury. Overclocks to at least the equal of the Geforce 2 GTS and far superior to any of the Geforce 2 MX cards. At least in my opinion.
Chuck

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
definately go with the gts-v. ive got one and its a great card for the price. can run rtcw and mohaa with 90% of effects turned on and average btween 50fps.

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Another GTS-V recommendation. This card simply smokes any other card anywhere near its price.

verytasty

Banned
Mar 13, 2002
Is there a version of this card with TV-out? I looked on newegg site and couldn't find a TV-out version. Thanks.

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
I vote for the original Radeon 32MB DDR. Check pricewatch and you should be able to find one for under $60 shipped.

elkinm

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2001
Newegg has some retail Radeon DDRs in this range. In my oppinion it is far superior to a GF 2 GTS and looks and runs better especialy will the newer drivers.

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Originally posted by: verytasty
Is there a version of this card with TV-out? I looked on newegg site and couldn't find a TV-out version. Thanks.
Nope. No version with TV-out. The TV-out on 99% of nvidia-based cards sucks anyways.

moocat

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 1999
I'm curious...are the Radeon DDR cards actually faster than the GTS2 cards? I'm speaking raw framerate.

novice

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2000
are the Radeon DDR cards actually faster than the GTS2 cards? I'm speaking raw framerate

Not according to any of the benchmarks I have seen published. Here are a few from Tom's Hardware. The GTS gives higher framerates, particularly at 16 bit color. The Radeon DDR seems to gain some ground with 32 bit color at higher resolutions, but at realistic gaming settings, the GTS seems to have the edge in raw speed. The Radeon proponents claim superior 2D clarity and better DVD performance, but I wouldn't know. I was always too afraid of the old ATI driver horror stories to consider trying a Radeon. The drivers are supposedly better now, at least according to some sources. I hope so.
Chuck

moocat

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 1999
ATI driver support is MUCH better. I'd say they are on par with Nvidia now. I'm sure some would argue that point...but is there any point you could make regarding Nvidia and ATI that someone wouldn't try to argue :)

EdIt: Hey...this is my platinum post! I'd like to thank Anandtech, everyone whos threads I've posted in...I'd also like to thank my family and all who have supported me in my journey to 2001 posts. Thank you..Thank you all. This is a real honor. ;) :p