Need guidance-Requirements for laptop to HD TV.

shadecat

Jun 27, 2014
Hi Folks-
Interested in your opinions.
I just bought a HD TV and would like to hook up a laptop to it to play videos that I find on websites such as Ted Talks and Youtube. What are the minimum specs I need on the lap top to do that and perhaps play medium quality videos from my hard drive? Is a dedicated graphics card a must? Minimum ghz requirements? I'm connecting through HDMI.

Thanks!

Steve F.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Have you considered just a blu-ray player with streaming apps? or maybe Chromecast? would be cheaper and easier than having to use a laptop.

shadecat

Jun 27, 2014
Does Chromecast allow both surfing the internet and playing videos from my computer to my TV MUST ISO?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Laptop's processing or video rendering power is no the most important part here, you will be limited by bandwidth if you want to wirelessly transmit to the TV. If you are physically transmitting to TV via HDMI, displayport or DVI, there there is no issue. a i3 or i5's IGP (preferably 4000 series) will be more than enough.

So just look for a LT with LGA 1150 motherboard and make sure you get a i3 or i5 processor and you will be good

Last edited:

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Does your laptop have HDMI, or are you using an adapter (such as an USB to HDMI device)?
What's the CPU and RAM of the laptop?
Most Youtube and TED talks shouldn't require much in terms of processing power. If you were to play 1080p mkv files, on the other hand...

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Does your laptop have HDMI, or are you using an adapter (such as an USB to HDMI device)?
What's the CPU and RAM of the laptop?
Most Youtube and TED talks shouldn't require much in terms of processing power. If you were to play 1080p mkv files, on the other hand...

Haswell IGPU can handle it without any hickups.

shadecat

Jun 27, 2014
thanks for replies folks
Would like full internet not just apps MUST ISO thanks
Actually, I'm trying to buy a low end laptop specifically for the purpose of playing online videos from computer to TV(such as beforementioned youtube,tedtalks). It would be nice though to be able to play vids from my hard drive. It will be wired with an HDMI

-Haven't bought the laptop yet. Just wanted to see the bare minimum I needed in terms of specs to achieve my goals. Which is why I was trying to find out if I should have a certain RAM, CPU, or any other specs that might help.

Thanks for letting me know that processing spec is not relevant. Do most i3/i5 laptops have the " LGA 1150 motherboard" you speak of if that is important?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Thanks for letting me know that processing spec is not relevant. Do most i3/i5 laptops have the " LGA 1150 motherboard" you speak of if that is important?

Not all, you will have look for a laptop a i3, i5 or i7 CPU with the 4 digit number starting with "4". Like i3-4010 or i5-4200

You can also look at the option of Roku 3, that will take care of all your online videos like youtube and Ted. You can play videos from your PC by using Plex on Roku.

Last edited:

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I use a desktop with a Gigabyte Motherboard with a Centrino Wireless ac card with a wireless keyboard. I used an Intel i3 4330 CPU. It has plenty of power to process HDMI video. My wireless n router is downstairs and it works great. I normally watch movies on HULU and sometimes a DVD. A good HDTV can also play recorded HD video content from a flash thumb drive or a backup portable hard drive.

You might also try asking this in the other forum for SFF/Notebooks.

Last edited:

shadecat

Jun 27, 2014
Thanks Desi
Thanks Piasbird
You also seemed to have backed up that the CPU you used started with a 4.
Don't know if it's mandatory but it seems like it does the trick.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
the ones with the "4" are the latest generation, they have the 4000 series IGP, the integrated video card, if you will, that is pretty powerful, and good enough for all types of full HD 1080p videos. the 3000 series is also not actually bad, it too can handle almost everything. 2000 series has some known issues iirc and should be avoided.

shadecat

Jun 27, 2014
Thanks for your opinion PoofyHair
Quick follow up. If I just wanted to connect the laptop to my TV and watch AVI type videos from my hard drive and videos from surfing Youtube eg.....do I need to be ultra concerned with it being i3, i5 with the "4000" series?
It comes at a price range that is pushing it for me.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Quick follow up. If I just wanted to connect the laptop to my TV and watch AVI type videos from my hard drive and videos from surfing Youtube eg.....do I need to be ultra concerned with it being i3, i5 with the "4000" series?

No, not really.

I mean, if you EVER want to play a HD file (like a mkv file) and you want it to work correctly with your 120hz or better TV (if you have one of those) then you need the 4000 series or better.

But to just watch SD AVIs and Youtube on a standard LCD TV? Honestly almost anything made the last 5 years can do that.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008

Video rendering does not need much CPU processing power, i3 is more than enough. Many HTPCs are build on Pentium or even Celeron.

shadecat

Jun 27, 2014
Much obliged PoofyHairguy. I appreciated that info.
Thanks Desi. Seems like youre saying that for my most basic needs it might not
even be necessary to go into the i3, i5 3000 and up CPU range but as Poofy mentioned it's best to get the more powerful specs once you get into playing higher quality files.

This is a great help.
I'll just have to comb the web to see the most I can get for my money.

Cheers