dethklok8

Aug 6, 2017
I need to buy a gaming laptop for college because they are good for viewing and editing videos too, and I have to buy it before school starts in two weeks. I've been looking around and have discovered a few specs that I think are important, but I don't have enough knowledge about specs to feel comfortable making a decision.

• 16 GB RAM
  • GeForce GTX 1060
  • 4k Native Resolution
  • At least 128 GB SSD, with 1TB Hard Disk Drive
  • ~$1500
I don't know if that budget is possible with this kind of build, but if not, the 4k can be the first to be omitted. I was looking at the HP Omen 17 and the only thing holding me back was the 4k wasn't native. Regardless, I need this laptop sooner than later, and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
yea not going to happen at 4k. I went to new egg, threw in 4k and sorted by price and the cheapest laptops started at $1500..and they wernt the ones you would want. However taking 4k off the table enables you to many good 1060gtx based laptops from msi, asus, and dell. Leave HP out of the mix.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
I agree, leave out the 4k. Especially when talking gaming, you'll get a lot more life out of the rig if you're not doing 4k.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
I haven't tried 4K myself but i was under the impression it was pretty much redundant and even annoying until you get into the 30"+ monitor size? I'd just ditch it in your case, especially for a laptop.
Speaking of monitor size, does it matter if it's a 15" or 17" or will you be hooking it up to an external monitor for your work?
Do you mind open box/refurbished computers? You could get a high end one with an i7 and GTX 1070 for $1500 if you don't mind it.
Will you be buying from newegg or somewhere else?