Need for Speed: Most Wanted

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Anybody with an 8800 (G92) series card play this game?

I'm getting stuttering while playing but haven't found a solution. I hear other gamers are getting this on other forums, but no solution.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
This issue was brought up in video too. It's a flaw in that game engine, most likely caused by a fixed ticrate physics engine not staying in sync with the rendering, and occurs on any hardware. You may have noticed that things seem perfectly smooth in the garage, when you pan the view around cars, but everything becomes choppy when you start driving.

It seems to stutter less at higher framerates though. I played this game at somewhat low settings to get about 80-100fps at all times, and although it didn't feel smooth it was much better than on an older setup that gave half the framerates.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Actually, I had the X1950XT before this card and played with the same settings and had smooth as butter gameplay.

It could be because I switched the video cards, but this is the only game out of 20 or so that I have that gives me problems.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
It's hard to explain, but with the ati card I could notice that the fps were always 60+.

I have Rivatuner set to show my fps, so Rivatuner confirmed that I was running 60+ fps.

But with the Nvidia card, Rivatuner is confirming that I am running 60+ fps, but it sure as heck doesn't feel like 60+ fps... in the periods when there is no stutter and I'm taking fast turn with a lot going on the screen, the fps feels like 30.... really bad.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Your ATI card probably stuttered as well, just less frequently (maybe to the point that it wasn't noticeable). I still have an X1900 and can definitely see the stuttering everywhere, but it's much more tolerable than what I used to get on the two 7800s I had before that.

It's a pity too. This is a great game apart from this issue. I haven't played the more recent NFS titles but they are supposed to be not nearly as good.

Dream Operator

Jan 31, 2005
I created a similar thread for NFS: Carbon. There's another one around for NFS: Pro Street. Same issue. Craptastic!!

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I know about the micro stuttering....

The ATI card I had there was no micro stutter or lag or other kind of sutter...I know because I played it.

With the Nvidia card, I get the 2-3 second stutters here and there (usually in 2 minute intervals... they seem to die down after playing 30 minutes or so....that is, instead of the 2 min intervals...they become 10 min intervals)

And then there's the micro stutter that's on the web and youtube.

SUCKS big time. I was going to buy Pro Street, but forget about it now. What a poor job on this game.