Need external, self functional, VGA capture device

penelopeb

Mar 14, 2004
I have to set up some training manuals for software installers, and part of this involves working with a product that I have no access to the OS for. So I need some sort of inline, external, non-software dependent, device that I can stick into the VGA path and push a button to snap a screenshot, then dump into my PC later for documentation purposes.

I really have no clue what to even google for -- external screen capture isn't getting me anywhere.

Suggestions, thoughts, and even search term suggestions, appreciated. I know these things exist...

Thanks much!

penelopeb

Mar 14, 2004
Thank you... I found those too.

The problem is that I can't have ANY software that needs to touch the originating system. I have no access to the OS layer at all -- it's a very specific Linux distribution in the form of an appliance.

I was hoping I could find something that went like:

PC-->Monitor Cable-->Frame Grabber with a camera style 'snapshot button'-->monitor cable--->Monitor.

And then the frame grabbing device could attach to a PC later for download a la a digicam...

The Epiphan looks like it might do something like that, but whooo spendy!

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Do you have access to another PC?

Simplest answer to me seems to be a decent quality VGA splitter with one output connected to the monitor and the other going to your capture device.

Demanding that the device be stand-alone is what's really limiting your options here, if you have a laptop, or any other PC that you can use to capture images you can do this easily with either of the devices I posted.

I would imagine a simple physical splitter would be sufficient unless you need a long cable run, but worst case something like THIS should eliminate your need to have an inline device.

Viper GTS

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
The cards shown are internal to the system you're doing the grabbing WITH.

An (expensive) alternative would be a "remote KVM switch" that passes screen image and keyboard/mouse input through a network connection. These do screenshots too.

penelopeb

Mar 14, 2004
I could rig something up on the bench probably to do splitting, but how do I get the capture onto the other PC since the VGA splitter is technically running off the PC-Appliance I have no access to?

The KVM switch isn't a bad idea...that would work. Any solution other than taking photos of my monitor and that requires no software is really what I'm looking for. :p