Need cable/adapter for Seagate firmware fix (in South Florida)

cyberia

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
My Seagate drive seems to have caught the BSY bug. I need a USB-to-TTL adapter (or a CA-42 Nokia data cable) to try a fix.

If you have had this problem and have the necessary tools for the fix, I would appreciate if you could lend/sell them from you.

Thank you in advance.

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
A simple soldering iron, resin-core solder, x-acto knife, some shrink-tube, and diagonals will work fine. You will also need a Torx T6 screwdriver for removing the hard drive's PCB. These are all readily available items that can be purchased at any local or online hardware, electronics, or hobbyist stores.

Nokia CA-42 Data Cable Connectivity Adapter Cable - Original (OEM)

Read this article, and follow the links carefully, as an alternative to using the Nokia CA-42, USB-to-Serial solution, which often proves problematic:

Fixing a Seagate 7200.11 Hard Drive using DKU-5 Cable

Last edited:

cyberia

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Thanks for the link. I saved it for reference. I got one of those cables from eBay earlier today. I was just hoping that I could get something locally, so I would not have to wait until mid-next week.

cyberia

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Got my DKU-5 cable from eBay today and it was a no-go. The cable looked identical to the one ofrom the second link (even the box was pretty much the same). But the cable failed a loopback test.

I guess I am back to square one: Spending another $4 (which is not a huge deal) and waiting until mid-week next week for it to arrive (which sucks).

Bubbaleone

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2011
Got my DKU-5 cable from eBay today and it was a no-go. The cable looked identical to the one ofrom the second link (even the box was pretty much the same). But the cable failed a loopback test.

I guess I am back to square one: Spending another $4 (which is not a huge deal) and waiting until mid-week next week for it to arrive (which sucks).

You might be buying junk on ebay. Have a look at this (free shipping):

DKU-5 USB Data Cable for Nokia Cell Phone

cyberia

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
I got another cable. It is recognized by the device manager, but I don't seem to be able to do a successful loop-back test.

Here is what I am doing:

1) Go to Device Manager -> Ports -> Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM3). Properties -> Port Settings Tab -> Set settings to 38400, 8, None, 1, None.

2) Open Hyperterminal. Connect to COM3. Same settings as above. I get a blank Hyperterminal window with "Connected 0:00:01..." in the status bar (and incrementing).

I short pins 6 and 7 (as marked in this picture).

Question: At this point, am I expecting some random data in my Hyperterminal window? Or do I need to type in a few random characters and see them echoed back? Either way, I don't seem to get any response.

Any help would be very appreciated.

cyberia

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Question: At this point, am I expecting some random data in my Hyperterminal window? Or do I need to type in a few random characters and see them echoed back? Either way, I don't seem to get any response.

OK, I think I am getting somewhere. With the RX and TX pins shorted, every character I type gets echoed back. When NOT shorted, only occasional ones get displayed.

So, does this mean the cable works right? But why would some characters get echoed back when TX and RX are NOT connected?

Mac-Tec

Mar 13, 2015
I had a Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200.11 HDD which one day wouldn't be recognised on BIOS or load windows at all. I found out that these drives have this firmware bug and after doing a quick search I found this complete FW-FXR kit on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30qkNrNaGrk

which repaired my drive in less than 30 minutes. I also repaired a couple of friends drives with it and even got a small profit out of it [​IMG]

Yes there are cheaper solutions like what is mentioned here but I found it safer for my data to spend 25Euro for this kit (which also include click by click repair software) than to buy random adapters and try to decode messages....

I bought mine from Amazon but it is also avaliable on ebay

---

Note - Post is necro, but info is good for those who need it. :)

Harvey
Senior AT Mod/Admin

Last edited by a moderator: