Need Biology research paper idea!

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Got a damn research paper I need for Biology due next semester but I wan't to have an idea and get the experiment going plenty ahead of time. I did some quick searches but I haven't found an idea yet. I checked Schoolsucks.com and Researchpaper.com and that didn't really help. Researchpaper.com might have had some good stuff but the links don't work when I browse for Biology ones.

I'm just looking for any ideas or some good websites with them. Remember, it is 10th grade Biology and it HAS to deal with Plants or Animals and be somewhat easy and able to be done by me. Thanks.

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
You could try to prove that lab rats can find their way through the same maze when its done a few times. Construct a good size maze and let them run and time em.

Crazy but it might work

Gatsby

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Hmm... I don't care to deal with rats.

From that Skewlsites I found a okay one: Effect of UV and non-UV rays on plant growth. They used a UV and non-UV bulb. I might do something along the lines of that.

Any other ideas?

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Is an experiment a necessary part of the paper? Can you research a topic and write about it?

If so, cloning is very popular and we've seen several news stories recently about successful cloning experiments.

A paper on the current status of the Human Genome Project might be interesting.

A paper on the Japanese Ginkgo tree might be interesting. They are VERY old.

A paper on the sleeping habits of cats could easily run to a thousand pages.
Observation notes alone could run to ten thousand pages. I see an oeuvre, here.

Also, if you go to Walden's or Borders you can find any number of books with suggested experiments. Many of them are quite easy to do. I've got one of the books around here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to go get it. (Worked all day.)

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Do an experiment on human reproduction. Should be fun, at least the experiment part. You could [edit:] post your research paper on some newsgroups ;)

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
Do a paper on the genetics of Rats, how they can survive everything that man and nature throws at them. Might be neat to compare how some rats can adapt so quickly, ect.

pamchenko

Golden Member
Nov 28, 1999
the thing about UV vs non UV light for plant growth is more physics to me than biology...after all, what the energy is doing is exciting electrons and because of the color or whatever of the plant, it becomes more or less receptive to certain wavelengths of light.

if u're in the 10th grade, how bout a project on enzymes? that could easily explode into a discussion on kinetics though...

I imagine you'll have a hard time finding rats and animals like some have suggested....

oh what the hell, just build a volcano or something...oops you didn't say science fair did you?

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Hehe. Well I guess the UV stuff could be Physics but it does deal with plants and I asked my teacher about it and I guess it is okay, I just gotta figure out more of what I'll do. Maybe Sunlight vs. Artificial UV bulb?

yakko: I get a DNS Server Error when trying to connect to that site. Did you type it in wrong?

Thanks.

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
Do an experiment seeing whether you get hairy palms. Of course your experiment must have a lot of data to eliminate sampling error.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
research alpha farnesene and superficial scald. seems like a guy named dilley at msu just discovered a new technique using ILOS and subsequent CA that controls it naturally.

much safer thatn DDT.