Need ATOT's help for a class I'm teaching this sunday

CarlKillerMiller

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2003
I'm a high school senior and teach english on the side for some weekend money. I recently picked up a class of two grade school kids, one in fifth grade and one in fourth grade. They told me that they enjoy action stories, so I've been browsing the web for some printable content that I can read and possibly structure a lesson around. So far, my results have been nil.

Can AT help me find a few good stories online?

Thanks fellows.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: virtueixi
That is the g@yest thing I have ever read.

way to go jerk

he is trying to teach kids english, what is the problem with that?

maybe you can find some stuff from Project Gutenberg
linked

treasure island is on there, that might work

the war of the worlds

there are some other classics that should be ok for kids

jvarszegi

Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: Chraticn
I'm a high school senior and teach english on the side for some weekend money. I recently picked up a class of two grade school kids, one in fifth grade and one in fourth grade. They told me that they enjoy action stories, so I've been browsing the web for some printable content that I can read and possibly structure a lesson around. So far, my results have been nil.

Thanks fellows.

Do you know about this?

I can recommend stories all day long. For some hilarious stories with lots of action and plenty of good vocabulary, I recommend Jack Vance; I believe he's the only living writer to have won the Edgar (for writing mysteries), Nebula, and Hugo awards. Cugel's saga is a great one. How about "1,001 Arabian Nights"? That one's a thrill a minute, you can break it into chunks for lessons very easily, you can use it to teach about story structure very well, and they will have heard some of the stories already (like Sinbad, etc.) so they can relate to the stories. Its only fault is that it's massive.

Kishan

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Chraticn

Thanks fellows.

OT: How do you build your clientiele, and how much do you make on average? Smart idea:thumbsup:

CarlKillerMiller

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2003
Thanks very much for all of the ideas!

I chose (based on some of the input from this thread) a short-ish summary reading of the twelve labors of hercules. I think the kids will enjoy the swordplay and action while learning about myhtology. Maybe I'll get them hooked, I love that stuff. :D

Also, thanks for ferreting the troll. I honestly don't know what I did to deserve that.

For KPSHAH- I found a recently opened private school and enquired about a job opening, and it turned out that they needed someone to teach the smaller english classes.

THe rest is history.